Is CFD fluid mechanics + computer science?

In summary, the speaker is currently enjoying their fluid dynamics classes and finds it more interesting than their solid mechanics classes. They also have a strong interest in programming and computer science, specifically in the field of CFD. They are curious about the required level of computer science knowledge for a CFD engineer and are open to pursuing additional coursework in the subject. The speaker also mentions that the programming aspect of CFD is more numerical in nature rather than pure object-oriented programming, and notes that most CFD engineers they know have backgrounds in mechanical engineering rather than computer science. They suggest that a good understanding of C++, numerical algorithms, and data structures would be sufficient for a CFD engineer.
ramzerimar
I'm having fluid dynamics classes right now and I'm enjoying it very much (much more than my solid mechanics classes, by the way). Also, I do like programming and computer science, and CFD looks like a very interesting field. I'm developing a real interest for it.

One question for those who are familiar with the field: how much computer science for a CFD engineer? The field is indeed very much mathematically intensive, and I know that C++ is the preferred language for doing CFD computations. I think it would be a very interesting field for me, because I'm interested in all those areas.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is, to some extent. The programming is more of a numerical flavor than pure OOP. All of the CFD'ers I know are mechanical engineers, not a computer scientist in the bunch. I would say if you have a good year long course in C++, a couple of courses in numerical algorithms and a couple of courses in algorithms and data structures you'd be OK (more like a CS minor than a major).

Likes FactChecker

1. What is CFD?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics. It is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems involving fluid flows.

2. How does CFD relate to fluid mechanics?

CFD is an application of fluid mechanics that uses computer simulations to study and analyze fluid flow behavior. It allows for a more detailed and accurate understanding of fluid dynamics than traditional experimental methods.

3. What role does computer science play in CFD?

Computer science plays a crucial role in CFD as it provides the tools and methods necessary for creating and running simulations. This includes developing algorithms, writing code, and using software and hardware to solve complex fluid flow problems.

4. What are the real-world applications of CFD?

CFD has a wide range of applications in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and energy. It is used to design and optimize aerodynamics of aircraft and cars, study combustion processes in engines, and predict fluid flow in pipelines and turbines, among other things.

5. What are the benefits of using CFD in engineering and research?

CFD offers several benefits in engineering and research, including cost-effectiveness, time-savings, and the ability to simulate and analyze complex fluid flow problems that may be difficult or impossible to study experimentally. It also allows for the evaluation of multiple design options without the need for physical prototypes.