Is Decoherence a Continuous Process?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of decoherence and its continuous nature. It is described as the exponential decay of off diagonal terms in a density matrix, leading to classical behavior. The issue of interference terms being suppressed but not completely disappearing is also mentioned. In a dense environment like the surface of the Earth, particles in objects are considered to remain permanently decohered, with only contrived situations like the double slit experiment showing interference effects.
myki
When a particle decoheres, or its component states get entangled with the ``environment``, surely this is not a final eigenstate. The particle is interacting ( becoming entangled etc) with other particles and systems constantly. Therefore, isn't decoherence a continuous process?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, decoherence is continuous. Dephasing (the type of decoherence that leads to classical behaviour and which is usually what people mean by decoherence) is the exponential (as a function of time) decay of the off diagonal terms in a density matrix. I'm not sure if that's what you mean, though. Are you asking whether the constant interaction means that a system might decohere and then recohere again? If that's your question, then no, generally not. The point is that dephasing is a reasonable model under all sorts of environmental interactions and, as I said, is a kind of exponential decay. So it tends toward a particular limit point (the full incoherent classical mixture state), it doesn't just kind of bounce around between a variety of totally different states.

Likes bhobba
Yes, as last man standing says, its continuous.

But I sense you may be worried about an issue that sometimes gets bought up in regard to it explaining apparent collapse. The interference terms get suppressed very quickly - but never actually become zero - simply way below our ability to detect. This is not the ideal state of affairs and is part of why its considered to resolve the measurement problem (not the major reason - but its certainly one of them) - For All Practical Purposes - but not totally resolve the issue.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Yes, as last man standing says, its continuous.

But I sense you may be worried about an issue that sometimes gets bought up in regard to it explaining apparent collapse. The interference terms get suppressed very quickly - but never actually become zero - simply way below our ability to detect. This is not the ideal state of affairs and is part of why its considered to resolve the measurement problem (not the major reason - but its certainly one of them) - For All Practical Purposes - but not totally resolve the issue.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks to Lastmanstanding and Bhoppa. I guess my rather naive question would then be: in a dense ``environment`` like the surface of earth, does that mean that, having all been measured by trillions of particles, do all particles in objects we observe remain permanently decohered? (notwithstanding undetectable interference terms washing about.)

myki said:
Thanks to Lastmanstanding and Bhoppa. I guess my rather naive question would then be: in a dense ``environment`` like the surface of earth, does that mean that, having all been measured by trillions of particles, do all particles in objects we observe remain permanently decohered? (notwithstanding undetectable interference terms washing about.)

Basically - yes. Only in some contrived situations like the double slit can you detect interference effects.

Thanks
Bill

Related to Is Decoherence a Continuous Process?

1. What is decoherence and how does it relate to quantum mechanics?

Decoherence is the process by which a quantum system interacting with its environment loses its quantum properties and behaves more like a classical system. This is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is essential for understanding the transition from the microscopic world of quantum mechanics to the macroscopic world we experience.

2. Is decoherence a continuous or discrete process?

This is a debated topic among scientists, but the prevailing view is that decoherence is a continuous process. This means that as the system interacts with its environment, its quantum properties gradually diminish and are not suddenly lost at a specific point in time.

3. How do we measure or observe decoherence in a system?

Decoherence is typically observed through the effects it has on the system's quantum state. This can be measured through various experiments, such as interference patterns or the loss of coherence in a superposition state. However, these measurements can be challenging as decoherence is often a very subtle process.

4. Can decoherence be reversed or undone?

In general, decoherence cannot be reversed or undone. Once a system has interacted with its environment and lost its quantum properties, it is difficult to recover them. However, there are some techniques, such as quantum error correction, that can mitigate the effects of decoherence and preserve quantum states.

5. How does decoherence affect the feasibility of quantum computing?

Decoherence is one of the major challenges in quantum computing as it can cause errors in quantum calculations. To combat this, quantum computers use error correction techniques and operate at extremely low temperatures to minimize decoherence. However, it is still a significant hurdle in the development of practical quantum computers.