Is ΔUL equal to ΔUR in this case?

In summary: Then use the equation for change of potential energy: ##\frac{\Delta U_L}{\Delta U_R}=-\frac{MH}{mh}##.
RubroCP
Homework Statement
Consider a board like the one in the figure below. Assuming that the potential energy does not change when placing the balance in a horizontal position, and disregarding the mass of the board, show:

a) The relationship between the potential energy gained by the object of mass ##M## and the decrease in the potential energy of the object of mass ##m## when the balance is positioned horizontally.

b) The relationship between the quantities ##M##, ##m##, ##L## and ##l##.
Relevant Equations
There's none
1623790893835.png
Hello, thanks for the attention. Well, knowing that the only acting force is the gravitational force, I stated that ##U=-MgH## for the ##M## mass block and that ##U=mgh## for the ##m## mass block. After that I divide the two and got the relationship for the alternative "a". For alternative "b" I used the equilibrium condition and stated that ##MgL=mgl##, such that ##\frac{M}{m}=\frac{l}{L}##. But I don't know if it's correct. Could you help me with the resolution?

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) asks for a relationship between the two potential energies. You have found each one separately, but you have not provided the required relationship.

How do you know that the system is in equilibrium when the board is horizontal? Can you prove it or are you guessing?

Last edited:
Likes RubroCP
kuruman said:
Part (a) asks for a relationship between the two potential energies. You have found each one separately, but you have not provided the required relationship.

How do you know that the system is in equilibrium when the board is horizontal? Can you prove it or are you guessing?
Thanks, kuruman. My question is regarding the division in alternative "a". As the blocks move I got a negative and a positive potential. In the division, should I analyze the module or leave the value as negative? For alternative "b", I started from what the statement stated:

"Assuming that the potential energy does not change when placing the balance in a horizontal position [...]"

Would that be enough to say that balance occurs?

Likes Delta2
You still have not answered part (a). Let
##\Delta U_L## = potential energy change due to the motion of the mass on the left
##\Delta U_R## = potential energy change due to the motion of the mass on the right

Find an equation relating the two, e.g. ##\Delta U_L=\frac{\pi}{2}\Delta U_R## or something like that.

RubroCP said:
Would that be enough to say that balance occurs?
Why would it be? Convince me with equations or with some logical reasoning that balance occurs. If you do part (a), it will be easier to see what's going on.

kuruman said:
You still have not answered part (a). Let
##\Delta U_L## = potential energy change due to the motion of the mass on the left
##\Delta U_R## = potential energy change due to the motion of the mass on the right

Find an equation relating the two, e.g. ##\Delta U_L=\frac{\pi}{2}\Delta U_R## or something like that.Why would it be? Convince me with equations or with some logical reasoning that balance occurs. If you do part (a), it will be easier to see what's going on.
Well, I could affirm that ##\frac{\Delta U_L}{\Delta U_R}=-\frac{MH}{mh}##. But, knowing that ##\frac{H}{h}=\frac{L}{l}##, then ##\frac{\Delta U_L}{\Delta U_R}=-\frac{ML}{ml}##. But, how can I prove that ##\Delta U_L=\Delta U_R## in this case?

RubroCP said:
Well, I could affirm that ##\frac{\Delta U_L}{\Delta U_R}=-\frac{MH}{mh}##. But, knowing that ##\frac{H}{h}=\frac{L}{l}##, then ##\frac{\Delta U_L}{\Delta U_R}=-\frac{ML}{ml}##.
Affirm? The statement of the problem has already told you something in the statement "Assuming that the potential energy does not change when placing the balance in a horizontal position, ##\dots~##Can you express that with an equation? What potential energy is it referring to? How would you cast this assumption into a mathematical equation?
RubroCP said:
But, how can I prove that ##\Delta U_L=\Delta U_R## in this case?
You cannot because it isn't true.

RubroCP said:
But, how can I prove that ΔUL=ΔUR in this case?
I think the correct is ##\Delta U_L=-\Delta U_R##. To prove it start from the given fact from the statement of the problem, that the potential energy of the system remains constant in those two positions.

1. What is ΔUL and ΔUR?

ΔUL and ΔUR are symbols used in thermodynamics to represent changes in internal energy (ΔU), which is the energy of a system, due to changes in temperature (ΔT) and volume (ΔV). ΔUL specifically refers to the change in internal energy at constant volume, while ΔUR refers to the change in internal energy at constant pressure.

2. What does it mean for ΔUL to be equal to ΔUR?

When ΔUL is equal to ΔUR, it means that the change in internal energy of a system is the same regardless of whether the volume or pressure is kept constant. This is known as the principle of equivalence of work and heat, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the sum of the work done on the system and the heat added to the system.

3. Is ΔUL always equal to ΔUR?

No, ΔUL and ΔUR are only equal under certain conditions. For example, if the process is reversible and there are no other forms of energy transfer, such as chemical reactions, then ΔUL will be equal to ΔUR. However, if the process is irreversible or involves other forms of energy transfer, then ΔUL and ΔUR will not be equal.

4. How do you calculate ΔUL and ΔUR?

ΔUL and ΔUR can be calculated using the first law of thermodynamics, which states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. This can be expressed as ΔU = Q - W, where Q represents heat and W represents work. The specific equations for calculating ΔUL and ΔUR will depend on the specific conditions of the system.

5. Why is it important to know if ΔUL is equal to ΔUR?

Knowing if ΔUL is equal to ΔUR is important because it allows us to understand the energy changes that occur in a system and how they are related to each other. This information can be used to predict the behavior of the system and make informed decisions about its design and operation. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental principles of thermodynamics and how energy is transferred and transformed in different processes.