Is Energy Conservation Preserved in a Circuit with Two Inductors?

In summary, when two inductors are connected, the current through both is finite, and the energy is dissipated in the form of heat.
Rolls With Slipping
Homework Statement
This is my own question I created to try and think about what would happen if two inductors with different currents are connected.

Assume the circuit elements all have non-zero values. The switch has been closed for a very long time such that the current through ## L_1 ## is constant and no current flows through ## L_2 ##. What will the current be through ## L_1 ## and ## L_2 ## after opening the switch?
Relevant Equations
## V_L = L \frac{dI}{dt} ##
The standard assumption is that the current through an inductor must be continuous such that you don't produce an infinite back emf. However in this case, the current through ## L_1## is finite before opening the switch and the current through ## L_2 ## is zero before opening the switch. When the switch opens, is it possible for the current to be continuous through both?

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 134
Physics news on Phys.org
If you assume ideal components, then there is no finite solution. An instantaneous change in inductor current would require infinite voltage. In practice you would probably create an arc across the switch contacts.

However, this circuit also shows what is fundamentally wrong with the idealized lumped element circuit models. You can not actually build a perfect inductor, it will have some capacitance. This is how classical EM things are. There is always inductance from moving electrons and capacitance from generated voltages.

What you depict seems to be just a resonant LC circuit. It has L, C and R. After a long time with the switch closed, C charges to the battery voltage. When the switch opens, a damped oscillation occurs which gradually decays, depending on the circuit constants.
As you will know, an inductor stores energy and behaves like a heavy flywheel or mass - it is hard to start it and hard to stop it. In a more general case where two inductors carrying current are suddenly connected together, I think it is analogous to a collision between masses. For an inductor, the stored energy is LI^2/2, and for a mass the KE is mv^2/2. The momentum of the mass is mv and the "momentum" of the inductor is LI. So by analogy, I suggest that for two inductors, after the "collision", momentum LI is conserved, such that L1I1 + L2I2 = (L1 + L2) I3. This involves dissipation of energy.

Likes gneill

What is a circuit with two inductors?

A circuit with two inductors is a type of electrical circuit that contains two inductors, which are passive electronic components that store energy in the form of magnetic fields.

What is the purpose of using two inductors in a circuit?

The purpose of using two inductors in a circuit is to create a mutual inductance, which is the interaction between the magnetic fields of the two inductors. This allows for the transfer of energy between the inductors and can be used for functions such as filtering, tuning, and signal isolation.

How does the behavior of a circuit with two inductors differ from a circuit with only one inductor?

A circuit with two inductors will have a more complex behavior compared to a circuit with only one inductor. This is because the mutual inductance between the two inductors adds an extra dimension to the circuit's behavior, resulting in more variables and interactions to consider.

What are some common applications of circuits with two inductors?

Circuits with two inductors are commonly used in radio frequency (RF) circuits, power supplies, audio processing, and wireless power transfer systems.

What are some factors that can affect the performance of a circuit with two inductors?

The performance of a circuit with two inductors can be affected by factors such as the distance and orientation between the inductors, the materials used for the inductors, and the frequency of the input signal.