Is Every Decision in Life Motivated by Pain or Pleasure?

• Thread starter Omni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary, the conversation discussed the idea that every decision we make is driven by either a desire to avoid pain or gain pleasure. This can be seen in examples such as choosing to smoke for the pleasure it brings, or not asking someone out due to the potential pain of rejection. It was also mentioned that focusing on rewards instead of negative consequences can be helpful in making decisions. The concept of being addicted to suffering and how it can control our choices was also brought up. Ultimately, it was agreed that our choices are influenced by what keeps us in our comfort zone and that pain vs pleasure is a key factor in decision-making.
Omni
Someone told me that every decision we make in life is either to avoid pain or to gain pleasure. We ultimatley choose that which we desire the most. I basically agree with this statement, eg.1. I smoke because the pleasure of smoking outways the eventual pain. eg.2. You didn't ask that girl out because the pain of rejection outwayed the potential pleasure if she said yes (for those girls out there, please substitute girl for boy, or leave it girl if you wish).

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that this is a fundamental aspect of animals, someone once told me if you focus on the rewards it helps because what a person thinks is more likely what they do, so what would happen if one focused on the rewards of quitting smoking, instead of the joys of smoking or the suffering it causes? What about the girl?Stranger still it seems I or we are sometimes addicted to suffering and blinds one to the solutions, not really suffering in itself but the negative emotional stimulation that it leads to, just as people can get addicted to anxiety or irrational fears it's a form of stimulation nevertheless, but a good actor has more control of their emotions instead of the other way around.

I think in the end its what ever keeps us in our comfort zone.

i believed that pain vs pleasure was the key to our choices for awhile now. And i still do. Not only do we choose by pain vs pleasure, we also make our choices by which has less pain then the other when our choices look like there is no pleasure. And the same goes with which has more pleasure when the other choices have only pleasure.

I think I told you this. It is an abstract concept that probably arose sometime after plato and socrates, though in the 20th century logicians have become scientists and psychiatrists and materialist philosophers have become marxists. Both of whom ignore and do not care about such ideas.

Related to Is Every Decision in Life Motivated by Pain or Pleasure?

1. What is the meaning of "motivated by pain or pleasure" in decision making?

In decision making, "motivated by pain or pleasure" refers to the concept that our choices and actions are driven by our desire to either avoid pain or seek pleasure. This theory suggests that all our decisions are ultimately based on these two fundamental motivators.

2. Is it possible for decisions to be motivated by both pain and pleasure?

Yes, it is possible for decisions to be motivated by both pain and pleasure. In fact, many decisions are a combination of both. For example, someone may choose to work out regularly because it brings them pleasure and also helps them avoid the pain of potential health issues.

3. How does the concept of pain and pleasure motivation apply to everyday decision making?

The concept of pain and pleasure motivation can apply to everyday decision making in various ways. It can influence our choices about what to eat, how to spend our time and money, and who to spend our time with. Additionally, it can also impact more significant decisions such as career choices and relationships.

4. Are there any other factors that can influence decision making besides pain and pleasure?

Yes, there are other factors that can influence decision making, such as past experiences, personal values, and cultural norms. While pain and pleasure may be the primary motivators, these other factors can also play a significant role in our choices and actions.

5. Can we learn to make decisions that are not solely based on pain or pleasure?

Yes, we can learn to make decisions that are not solely based on pain or pleasure. By becoming more aware of our thought processes and considering other factors, we can make more rational and balanced decisions. Additionally, with practice, we can also learn to prioritize long-term satisfaction over immediate pleasure or avoidance of pain.