Is f(x,y) = a + bx + cy + dxy a Quadratic Polynomial?

In summary, f(x,y) = xy is considered a quadratic polynomial, despite not having an x^2 or y^2 term. This is because it is a polynomial of degree two, and according to the definition, "a quadratic polynomial or quadratic is a polynomial of degree two". However, it may also be referred to as a bilinear mapping, as it is linear in each variable. Some may argue that a quadratic polynomial must have an x^2 or y^2 term, but this is not always the case. Additionally, when graphed in three dimensions, it forms a hyperbolic paraboloid.
n0ya
Hello, I just want to clear up a confusion.

Is f(x,y) = a + bx + cy + dxy
a quadratic polynomial?

where x and y are variables and a,b,c,d are constants.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
n0ya said:

a quadratic polynomial?

No. A quadratic polynomial in two variables looks like this:
f(x, y) = ax2 + bxy + cy2 + dx + ey + f. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_polynomial (two variables case).

Mark44, I don't understand your response. You say "no" but then you give the general form for a quadratic in two variables which fits the one given by n0ya.
[itex]a+ bx+ cy+ dxy[/itex]
is the same as [itex]ax^2+ bxy+ cy^2+ dx+ ey+ f[/itex].

Those are the same with your a= 0, b equal to nOya's d, c= 0, d equal to n0ya's b, e equal to n0ya's c, and your f equal to n0ya's a.

n0ya said:

a quadratic polynomial?

The usual terminology would call this bilinear.

I was under the impression that a and c could not both be zero, but that b could be zero. Clearly, we can't have a = b = c = 0, or the function wouldn't be quadratic, so there need to be some restrictions on a, b, and c (but not on d, e, and f). Perhaps the restriction is that not all of a, b, c can be zero.

n0ya said:

a quadratic polynomial?

To reduce this problem to its essence, take f(x,y) = xy. On the one hand there is no x2 or y2 term; but there is an xy term. So is this a quadratic or not?

Hey n0ya and welcome to the forums.

As a guiding rule for further questions like this, look at the highest term (in terms of the order) and use that as a basis to figure out what kind of equation/polynomial/blah something is on top of other things that need to be considered (for example polynomials only have integer powers so a x^(1/2) in the expression would make it a non-polynomial instantly).

My problem is really whether f(x,y) = xy is a quadratic polynomial, as SteveL27 points out.

I know that this polynomial is of degree 2, and according to Wikipedia, "a quadratic polynomial or quadratic is a polynomial of degree two", it is a quadratic polynomial. However, some argue that a x^2 or a y^2 term is needed in order to call it 'quadratic', so I just wanted to clear up this confusion.

Yes, it is a quadratic polynomial. If you were to rotate the coordinate system through 45 degrees, calling the new coordinates x' and y', f(x,y)= xy would become [itex]x'^2- y'^2= 1[/itex]. Another way of looking at it is that the graph is a conic section, a hyperbola.

n0ya said:

a quadratic polynomial?

mathman said:
The usual terminology would call this bilinear.
No, it would not. "xy" is not linear.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it would not. "xy" is not linear.

It's bilinear, meaning that

x(y1 + y2) = xy1 + xy2

and x(ay) = a(xy) for a constant a;

and likewise in y. It's linear in each variable.

In my experience there is a distinction between polynomials in one variable and polynomials in two variables. Highest order term x2y2 is called biquadratic and x3y3 is called bicubic.

Thanks for the replies.

Then, as far as I understand it, if you for example have: x = t; y = t, then f(x,y)=xy will be a parabola (t^2).

Anyway, I think both quadratic and bilinear are both correct terms here. However, it might be more intuative to call it a bilinear mapping, instead of a quadratic polynomial, since we have no x^2 or y^2 terms.

n0ya said:
Thanks for the replies.

Then, as far as I understand it, if you for example have: x = t; y = t, then f(x,y)=xy will be a parabola (t^2).

Anyway, I think both quadratic and bilinear are both correct terms here. However, it might be more intuative to call it a bilinear mapping, instead of a quadratic polynomial, since we have no x^2 or y^2 terms.
most of the time when you have an xy term the curve is a hyperbola

n0ya said:

coolul007 said:
most of the time when you have an xy term the curve is a hyperbola

f(x, y) = xy represents a surface in three dimensions, not a curve in the plane, as are parabolas and hyperbolas. According to wolframalpha, the surface is a hyperbolic paraboloid.

Mark44 said:
f(x, y) = xy represents a surface in three dimensions, not a curve in the plane, as are parabolas and hyperbolas. According to wolframalpha, the surface is a hyperbolic paraboloid.

I think you found a bug, if you plot the old fashioned way n=xy, you get all of the real factors of n and it's a hyperbola. BTW, where's the third dimension variable?

coolul007 said:
BTW, where's the third dimension variable?

f(x,y) IS the 3rd dimension variable. It's basically equivalent to z=xy. For any fixed value z, then yes, you're dealing with a hyperbola, but if you consider the graph intersected by the plane y=mx, then you're dealing with a parabola z=mx2, hence why it's called a hyperbolic paraboloid.

Mentallic said:
f(x,y) IS the 3rd dimension variable. It's basically equivalent to z=xy. For any fixed value z, then yes, you're dealing with a hyperbola, but if you consider the graph intersected by the plane y=mx, then you're dealing with a parabola z=mx2, hence why it's called a hyperbolic paraboloid.

It must be too early, I was thinking f(x) not f(x,y)...so what is the answer to the original question? did we settle on bi-linear?

I don't know. There seems to be quite a few different proposals and arguments for each term. I don't think we should settle on anything yet :-p

Related to Is f(x,y) = a + bx + cy + dxy a Quadratic Polynomial?

What is a quadratic polynomial?

A quadratic polynomial is a mathematical expression with a degree of two, meaning that it contains a variable raised to the second power. It can be written in the form ax² + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

What are the key characteristics of a quadratic polynomial?

A quadratic polynomial has three main characteristics: it has a degree of two, it can have one or two real roots (depending on the discriminant), and its graph is a parabola.

How do you solve a quadratic polynomial?

To solve a quadratic polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula or factor it into two binomials. The quadratic formula is x = (-b ± √(b²-4ac)) / 2a, where a, b, and c are the coefficients in ax² + bx + c. Factoring involves finding two numbers that multiply to equal c and add to equal b, and then using those numbers to rewrite the polynomial as (ax + m)(nx + p), where m and p are the two numbers found through factoring.

What is the importance of quadratic polynomials?

Quadratic polynomials are important in many areas of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model real-life situations, such as the trajectory of a projectile, the shape of a bridge, or the profit of a business.

What are some real-life examples of quadratic polynomials?

Some real-life examples of quadratic polynomials include the height of a ball thrown into the air, the shape of a satellite dish, and the cost of producing a certain number of items. They can also be used to calculate the maximum or minimum value of a function.