Is Gravity Just the Electrostatic Force?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of gravity being explained by the electrostatic force and a paper promoting this theory. However, the idea is quickly dismissed as it goes against established scientific theories and principles. The conversation also mentions the importance of references being consistent with mainstream scientific literature and the flaws in the electrostatic explanation for the solar system.
TruthSeeker777
TL;DR Summary
I read this paper and this is iindeed a very interesting hypothesis. The implications of this theory if true are enormous! Please comment!

<crackpot link deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
  • Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK, weirdoguy, malawi_glenn and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

Non-mainstream theories:
Generally, in the forums we do not allow the following:
  • Discussion of theories that appear only on personal websites, self-published books, etc.
  • Challenges to mainstream theories (relativity, the Big Bang, etc.) that go beyond current professional discussion
  • Attempts to promote or resuscitate theories that have been discredited or superseded (e.g. Lorentz ether theory); this does not exclude discussion of those theories in a purely historical context
  • Personal theories or speculations that go beyond or counter to generally accepted science
  • Mixing science and religion, e.g. using religious doctrines in support of scientific arguments or vice versa.
  • Philosophical discussions are permitted only at the discretion of the mentors and may be deleted or closed without warning or appeal

Links to websites that fall in the categories listed above will be removed.

Likes dextercioby, PeroK and Vanadium 50
And just before this thread gets sent to the PF black hole:

No.

Likes berkeman and vanhees71
TruthSeeker777 said:
Summary: Is Gravity Just the Electrostatic Force?

I read this paper and this is iindeed a very interesting hypothesis. The implications of this theory if true are enormous! Please comment!

<crackpot link deleted>

It's pretty easy to disprove this idea, even on the level of Newtonian gravity: First of all the sources of the electrostatic field are charge distributions at rest, those of the gravitational field are mass distributions, and in electrostatics like-sign charges repell, while the always positive (i.e., like-sign) masses attract each other.

The deeper reason comes of course from relativity, where the electromagnetic field is described by a massless vector field and that of gravitation as a 2nd-rank tensor field. This alone already explains the repulsive-versus-attractive issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
His paper "Quarks Do Not Exist Everything is made up of only positrons and electrons" is a classic

• Haha
Likes dextercioby
Orodruin said:
And just before this thread gets sent to the PF black hole:

No.
But it was formatted like a scientific paper and published by some blokes' organisation 'friendly to the idea of criticizing Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity', and it describes quality high-precision experiments such as 'the comb attracts my hair' and 'feels like is should work'!

vanhees71 said:
First of all the sources of the electrostatic field are charge distributions at rest, those of the gravitational field are mass distributions, and in electrostatics like-sign charges repell, while the always positive (i.e., like-sign) masses attract each other.
Have you not read the paper?! (don't answer that) It includes a direct refutation of this spurious argument - namely: I rub my comb and it attracts my hair even though I never rubbed my hair (or was it straw?), so why not planets and stars too?

• Haha
Likes berkeman, dextercioby and malawi_glenn
TruthSeeker777 said:
Summary: Is Gravity Just the Electrostatic Force?

<crackpot link deleted>
This thread is closed. We do not discuss crackpot papers here. References must be consistent with the mainstream professional scientific literature.

FYI, electrostatic interactions cannot even explain the solar system. For all the planets to be attracted to the sun they would have to repel each other. There can be a torque on a neutral object, but not a net force, so the neutral attraction argument is wrong. This has all been understood for about two centuries now.

Likes PeterDonis, malawi_glenn and vanhees71

1. What is the electrostatic force?

The electrostatic force is a fundamental force of nature that describes the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is responsible for holding atoms and molecules together, as well as determining the behavior of objects on a macroscopic scale.

2. How is the electrostatic force related to gravity?

According to the theory of general relativity, gravity is not a force but rather a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. However, on a microscopic level, the electrostatic force and gravity are both described by similar mathematical equations. This has led some scientists to propose that gravity may be a manifestation of the electrostatic force on a larger scale.

3. What evidence supports the idea that gravity is just the electrostatic force?

There is currently no conclusive evidence to support this idea. While there have been some experimental results that seem to show a slight deviation from the predictions of general relativity, these deviations are small and can be explained by other factors. Additionally, the theory of general relativity has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of gravity.

4. What are the implications if gravity is just the electrostatic force?

If this theory were to be proven true, it would have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It would mean that gravity is not a fundamental force, but rather an emergent phenomenon that arises from the interactions of charged particles. It could also potentially lead to a unified theory of all the fundamental forces.

5. How are scientists currently researching this question?

Scientists are using a variety of methods to study the relationship between gravity and the electrostatic force. These include experiments with high-precision instruments, theoretical calculations, and observations of astronomical objects. However, more research is needed before any definitive conclusions can be drawn.