Is Handling the Most Over Called Foul in Soccer?

• Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    States
In summary: Italy loses by 1, and Czech is eliminated.If the US wins by 3 goals, Italy loses by 1, and Czech is eliminated.This is the most probable outcome, as the US has more goals and the tie is resolved by goal difference.
Anttech said:
Why no more new threads?

Is everyone (USA Ppls) sulking here now since u got beat by Ghana? :biggrin: hehe

Be fair. The US probably did suffer from an unfortunate draw, although some other teams (the Ivorians come to mind) really have a better claim to that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Granted, your group wasnt the easiest, but it wasnt the hardest. But hey this is the world cup.

I applaude you :) (Now get rid of that dumb coach, and perhaps you could do something in 4 years... :biggrin: )

Anttech said:
Granted, your group wasnt the easiest, but it wasnt the hardest. But hey this is the world cup.

I applaude you :) (Now get rid of that dumb coach, and perhaps you could do something in 4 years... :biggrin: )
The 2010 World Cup is in Africa instead of Europe, so we probably will do something. The USA has never won a World Cup game in Europe (in fact, Brazil is the only team to win a World Cup held outside its own continent - they've won in South America, North America, Europe, and Asia).

Of course, they have to actually qualify first. CONCACAF, Africa, and Asia should definitely lose slots for the next World Cup. Africa might not, since South Africa is hosting.

The USA has never won a World Cup game in Europe
something to work on I guess...

Andy said:
After speaking to a referee i have been informed that;

If the balls strikes your hand intentionally or unintentionally it is a free kick/penalty.

If the handball is intentional then the fouling player should receive a yellow card. If the player stops a goal by using his hand then the player should receive a red card.
How that particular referee calls handling or the official version, as stated in the laws? (There's a difference - the laws state the game ends when 90 minutes have been played, but notice how that 90 minutes is never reached in the middle of a shot). The handling has to be intentional. Having a ball strike your hand or arm unintentionally isn't a foul.

That said, traditionally, handling has been the most over called foul in soccer. It's easier for the referee to call a foul that everyone can see than to decide the handling was unintentional. In the US, quite a few referee clinics mention this yearly, even if it's usually not the highlighted lesson of the year. Looking at this World Cup, referees world wide are starting to accept to more responsibility for making a decision rather than just making the easy call. (They're also finally respecting the idea that questionable offside decisions should go to the attacker rather than the defender - something else FIFA has pushed for years before finally being accepted).

Back