Is Hawking Radiation unique? (And one more question)

It's important to keep in mind that different theories have different sets of rules and assumptions, and they may not always be compatible. We need to use the appropriate theory for the phenomenon we are trying to understand and not get caught up in contradictions between theories.
Tio Barnabe
Are there kinds of black hole radiation other than that proposed by Hawking? Note that I'm talking about truly black hole radiation, not radiation from matter that orbits the black hole, etc.

How can we conciliate such phenomenon with General Relativity? I mean, this seems to completely contradict what General Relativity predicts, i.e. light coming out of a black hole.

So what led physicists to even talk about black hole radiation? That a black body should absorb as well as emit radiation? How can they claim that by completely violating General Relativity?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tio Barnabe said:
Are there kinds of black hole radiation other than that proposed by Hawking?

I'm not sure what you mean. Hawking radiation, in principle, includes every possible kind of particle species.

Tio Barnabe said:
How can we conciliate such phenomenon with General Relativity?

By understanding that GR is a classical theory, while the prediction of Hawking radiation from black holes requires a quantum theory. Hawking's original prediction used quantum field theory in curved spacetime, specifically QFT done using Schwarzschild spacetime (the spacetime that describes a static black hole) as the background spacetime. More recent efforts have tried various other theoretical frameworks. We probably won't fully understand how all this works until we have a good theory of quantum gravity.

Tio Barnabe said:
light coming out of a black hole

The problem with Hawking radiation from a classical GR standpoint is not the radiation itself; that can be viewed as being emitted from just above the hole's horizon, which is perfectly possible classically. The problem is that the radiation carries away energy from the hole, i.e., it decreases the hole's mass. This violates classical theorems which say, in effect, that the mass of a static black hole cannot decrease. However, quantum field theory effects can violate crucial assumptions, called "energy conditions", on which those classical theorems are based. So when QFT is taken into account, Hawking radiation is perfectly consistent with GR at the classical level--you just have to take proper account of the QFT effects involved in the classical limit.

Tio Barnabe said:
So what led physicists to even talk about black hole radiation?

Because they were trying to understand how thermodynamics works in the presence of a black hole. A good summary of the relevant history is here:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/hep-th/0409024.pdf

Thanks for the response.
After the opening post, I realized that it doesn't make sense to talk about a thing ruled out by a theory while studying it from another theory!

That is, we have theories. They are chain of arguments, rules, etc which we use to predict phenomena. A particular theory is like a particular representation of a given phenomenon. In our case, Einstein's theory predicts black holes. It's a matter of experiment to check whether they actually exist or not. We do know they exist from independent experiments. So, now, we are looking at them and using Quantum theory, and that theory predics radiation. It's again a matter of experiment to see whether they actually radiate. So we should forget about what is forbidden in Einstein's theory, because it's another theory! Its like asking why a blue sock is not red! By definition a blue sock is blue and that's it.

would any of you like to make a observation about my above reasoning?

Tio Barnabe said:
it doesn't make sense to talk about a thing ruled out by a theory while studying it from another theory!

I agree.

Likes Tio Barnabe

1. Is Hawking Radiation the only type of radiation emitted by black holes?

No, Hawking Radiation is not the only type of radiation emitted by black holes. Black holes can also emit other types of radiation such as X-rays and gamma rays.

2. How does Hawking Radiation differ from other types of radiation?

Hawking Radiation differs from other types of radiation because it is emitted from the event horizon of a black hole, while other types of radiation are emitted from the accretion disk or jets surrounding the black hole.

3. Is Hawking Radiation responsible for the eventual evaporation of black holes?

Yes, Hawking Radiation is believed to be the main mechanism for the eventual evaporation of black holes. As a black hole emits Hawking Radiation, it loses mass and eventually evaporates completely.

4. Can Hawking Radiation be detected?

Currently, Hawking Radiation has not been directly detected. However, scientists have observed indirect evidence of its effects on black holes.

5. Is Hawking Radiation a proven theory?

While Hawking Radiation is a widely accepted theory, it has not been proven experimentally. However, the mathematical equations and principles behind it have been extensively studied and supported by other scientific evidence.

6. How does Hawking Radiation contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Hawking Radiation is a crucial part of our understanding of the universe, as it helps explain the behavior and eventual fate of black holes. It also provides insights into the relationship between gravity and quantum mechanics.