Is hell exothermic or endothermic interesting find

In summary, the student argues that because souls have mass, they will enter hell at a rate proportional to the number of souls in hell. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until all hell freezes over.
Ian_Brooks
Apparently students were given an assignment to prove whether hell obeyed the laws of thermodynamics and if it was endothermic or exothermic. The most interesting response is given below.

The Thermodynamics of Hell said:
First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass.

So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.

As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to hell. Since, there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in the volume of hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant.

So, if hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.

Of course, if hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

http://wfhummel.cnchost.com/hell.html

author unkown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is OLD. I posted it in Science jokes 4 years ago and I had gotten it from a friend 4-5 years before that. My version is from about 9 years ago. This, I believe, is the original, and IMO, best version.

Subject: The Nature of Hell

Thermodynamic Question: Is Hell Exothermic or Endothermic?

If you don't know the answer, then please read the following response. Dr.Schambaugh, of the Oklahoma School of Chemical Engineering, is known for asking questions such as "why do airplanes fly?" on his final exams. His one and only final exam question in May 1997 for his Momentum, Heat and Mass Transfer II course was "Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? Support your answer with proof."

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into Hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more
than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of
change in volume in Hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the
temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to remain constant.

Two options exist:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

or,

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until all Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you," and take into account that I have still not succeeded in having sexual relations with Theresa, then Option 2 cannot be true.

Thus, hell is exothermic.

The student got the only A in the course.

I wish had had the guts and wherewithal to write exam essays like that student in Oklahoma.

Whew, that was a lot of work for a laugh...you guys did laugh, didn't you?

Schouweiler

Last edited:
First, we postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into Hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more

Have you not heard of hellkings radiation?

ahah well most jokes are rehashed versions of older ones - it was funny nontheless

wolram said:
Have you not heard of hellkings radiation?

no what is it? I looked on wiki but can't find it do go on...

It is v.strange; when i search for hellkings radiation in google all I get is this topic.

Mental?!

Yeah...this is a really old joke. I remember my dad telling me about getting this in an email. And that was WAY back in the day when the concept of email was just catching on.

1. Is there any scientific evidence to support the concept of hell being exothermic or endothermic?

No, the concept of hell as an actual physical place is not supported by any scientific evidence. The idea of hell being exothermic or endothermic is purely hypothetical and has no basis in scientific research.

2. What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

An exothermic reaction releases energy in the form of heat, while an endothermic reaction absorbs energy from its surroundings. In other words, exothermic reactions feel warm to the touch, while endothermic reactions feel cold.

3. Can a reaction be both exothermic and endothermic at the same time?

No, a reaction can only be either exothermic or endothermic. It cannot be both at the same time.

4. How do scientists determine whether a reaction is exothermic or endothermic?

Scientists use calorimetry to measure the change in temperature during a reaction. If the temperature increases, the reaction is exothermic, and if the temperature decreases, the reaction is endothermic.

5. Is the concept of hell being exothermic or endothermic just a myth or is there a scientific explanation behind it?

The concept of hell being exothermic or endothermic is not based on any scientific principles and is often used as a thought experiment. It is not a real scientific concept and should not be taken as such.