Is Identity Death Possible Through Brain Damage?

In summary: He was a walking vegetable for the rest of his life, but he was still Phineas Gage. There's no right answer to this question, as it would depend on the person and the severity of the injuries. It's something to be considered when weighing the risks and benefits of brain surgery.
end3r7
Alright, I'll need some help formulating this, since my writing tends to be... well... just not very eloquent and representative of my thoughts.

I don't believe in soul, afterlife, or other nonsense. I think our self, our consciousness, is a function of our complex brains.

For what follows, I'll resort to the (admirably faulty) analogy of a computer. The hardware is our brain, the installed software is the mind/self, and we (the users) determine the nature/nurture.

Suppose you had a computer, you can easily tell it's your by a glance at the desktop or even browsing its contents. Supposed it's wiped clean... you install a new operating system or something... would you be able to discern it from one which looked exactly the same? Wouldn't they by all purposes the be equal--and thus none of them would be your computer? (I know, it's a stretch)

Suppose now you were cloned. Nobody would argue that you would be the same person as your clone. If you die, then he may still live and vice-versa.
Here comes the question I'll probably need help articulating: is there a point in which you can damage enough your personality and sense of self (by damaging parts of your brain such as the right frontal lobe, hippo campus, etc) that you would be just as an "empty shell" as a fresh clone? And if that were true, wouldn't you be, by any purposes, as good as dead?

It just got me thinking, when we strip us of our personality, our memories, and everything that makes us, us... isn't that death? And not just figuratively speaking, since it's unlikely that your old self will ever emerge again.

All right, I'm done with spitting out nonsense now. =)

Physics news on Phys.org
end3r7 said:
Suppose now you were cloned. Nobody would argue that you would be the same person as your clone.
Your clone would only be physically the same. There would be no shared memories or personality, etc... since that is formed by experiences.

Here comes the question I'll probably need help articulating: is there a point in which you can damage enough your personality and sense of self (by damaging parts of your brain such as the right frontal lobe, hippo campus, etc) that you would be just as an "empty shell" as a fresh clone? And if that were true, wouldn't you be, by any purposes, as good as dead?
Of course people suffer brain injuries every day with anything from amnesia to complete lack of brain function.

Look up the very sad story of Phineas Gage...

1. What is "Identity Death: Loss of Self"?

"Identity Death: Loss of Self" is a term used to describe the experience of losing one's sense of self, identity, and purpose. This can occur due to a variety of reasons such as trauma, mental illness, or significant life changes.

2. What are the symptoms of Identity Death?

The symptoms of Identity Death may include feelings of emptiness, detachment from one's emotions, loss of interest in activities once enjoyed, difficulty making decisions, and a sense of disconnection from one's identity and values.

3. Can Identity Death be treated?

Yes, Identity Death can be treated through therapy and other forms of support. Therapy can help individuals process and cope with the underlying causes of their loss of self and work towards rebuilding their sense of identity and purpose.

4. Is Identity Death the same as a midlife crisis?

No, Identity Death and a midlife crisis are not the same. A midlife crisis is often a temporary period of questioning one's identity and purpose, while Identity Death is a more severe and long-lasting experience of losing one's sense of self.

5. How can I support someone experiencing Identity Death?

If someone you know is experiencing Identity Death, it is important to offer them support and understanding. Encourage them to seek therapy and be patient as they work through their emotions and rebuild their sense of self. Avoid judgment and offer a listening ear when they need it.