Is inertia the total gravitational forces of the Universe?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the cause of inertia and whether it is connected to gravitational force. Some believe that the effects of the mass of all objects in the universe may cause distortions in space-time geodesics, defining an inertial path. However, others argue that inertia is not a force itself, but rather the universe's version of path of least resistance. Ultimately, inertia is not fully understood and its relationship to gravitational force remains a topic of debate.
Ian Walker
Hi all

I read a question on this subject from some time ago but was not satisfied with the clarity of the answer and in the light of recent experimental results I wish to clarify my understanding of this ancient scientific question.

What is the cause of Inertia?

So is inertia simply the total gravitational forces from from every object with mass in the universe?

Gravity as I understand is the weakest force but the one for which the range is longest eg we can feel the gravitational forces beyond which we can see objects with visual or radio telescopes.

Is it more accurate to say the gravitational force attenuates more slowly at distance?

Kind Regards Ian Walker

Physics news on Phys.org
Keep in mind that the gravitational force on an object can change dramatically without any change in the object's inertia. So if there is a connection, it is very hard to see. I don't think that you can make that connection between the two.

Likes russ_watters
FactChecker said:
Keep in mind that the gravitational force on an object can change dramatically without any change in the object's inertia. So if there is a connection, it is very hard to see. I don't think that you can make that connection between the two.
Hi all

In reply to FactChecker,

With the Universe as the Frame of reference?

Kind Regards Ian Walker

Ian Walker said:
The universe isn't a frame of reference. Where would you put the origin of the coordinate system?

Ian Walker said:
I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense and implies something untrue. Inertia works the same regardless of frame of reference.

The idea of equating gravitational force and inertia doesn't make much sense because (among other reasons) the units are different. Thats because they are very different concepts.

It may be that the effects of the mass of all objects in the universe cause distortions in the space-time geodesics and that those define an inertial path "straight line". But I don't think that you can say that the definition of a straight line is the same as the definition of inertia.

The universe has straight lines that are the same for any amount of mass. So it can not explain the difference in inertia between a small mass and a large mass.

Last edited:
I understand your question, but it is inherently flawed.

Inertia is not a force in and of itself. Inertia is simply the universe's version of path of least resistance. Ultimately, it takes more energy to speed up (or slow down) an object in motion than it does for the object in motion to continue on its way. Inertia is not a force. Inertia is the combined amount of force that has already been applied, and can be thought of as potential energy, an equal but opposite amount of which would be required to stop the object in motion.

Basically, it's easier for something to "not change" whatever it is doing, be it resting or moving. The universe is way lazier than people. WAAAAAAY lazier.

1. What is inertia?

Inertia is the resistance of an object to change its state of motion. This means that an object will remain at rest or continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How is inertia related to gravity?

Inertia is related to gravity because gravity is one of the external forces that can act on an object to change its state of motion. The more massive an object is, the more inertia it has and the stronger the gravitational force it experiences.

3. Is inertia the same as the total gravitational forces of the Universe?

No, inertia and the total gravitational forces of the Universe are not the same. Inertia is a property of an object, while the total gravitational forces of the Universe refer to the combined gravitational pull of all objects in the Universe.

4. Can inertia be measured?

Yes, inertia can be measured through an object's mass. The greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia, and the more force is needed to change its state of motion.

5. Why is it important to understand inertia?

Understanding inertia is important for various scientific and engineering purposes. It helps us predict the motion of objects, design structures and machines, and even explain the behavior of celestial bodies in space.