Is Information a conserved quantity or not?

• I
  • Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Information
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of statespace and its infinite nature in classical and quantum physics. The possibility of infinite states in relation to quantum gravity and the question of whether information is a conserved quantity are also brought up. The question is addressed in lecture 1 of Susskind's Statistical Mechanics course, with the answer being yes. Examples of conserved quantities are also provided, such as angular momentum and electric charge. The conversation is then closed.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Could a variable who's measured values are a countable infinite set still be a conserved quantity?
I've been wondering about statespace. Classically, we assume statespace is infinite (presumably so that we can depend on smooth, differentiable manifolds). But even in quantum, we assume a smooth space and time on which we define wave functions and operations (at least in undergrad quantum, that was the treatment).

I've been watching Susskin's lectures on Quantum Gravity (don't groan yet) and thinking about the entanglement-wormhole thought experiment and wondering about space topologically. Would these topological treatments around quantum/gravity unification not also suggest infinite states?

If you accept that availability of states is infinite in both classical and quantum treatment, then, by extension is information infinite (I couldn't find a single definition of information)?
And does that imply whether it's a conserved quantity or not?
Can we measure whether information is a conserved quantity or is statespace space more axiomatic in physics than empirical?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pythagorean said:
Summary: Could a variable who's measured values are a countable infinite set still be a conserved quantity?

I've been watching Susskin's lectures on Quantum Gravity
Your question is discussed well in lecture 1 of Susskind's Statistical Mechanics course.

Short answer to Summary Question: Yes.
Proof by examples: Angular momentum, Electric Charge, Hadron number, Lepton number.

Thread closed.
The stated summary -- "Could a variable who's measured values are a countable infinite set still be a conserved quantity?" -- seems to me to be meaningless at best.

1. Is information a conserved quantity?

The answer to this question is still being debated in the scientific community. Some argue that information is conserved, meaning it cannot be created or destroyed, while others argue that it is not a conserved quantity and can be created or destroyed.

2. What is the definition of information in this context?

In this context, information refers to the knowledge or data that is transmitted or stored. It can be in the form of symbols, numbers, or any other means of communication.

3. How is information measured?

Information is typically measured in bits, which represent the amount of information needed to make a decision between two equally likely options. It can also be measured in bytes, which is a unit of digital information.

4. Can information be converted into energy?

Some theories suggest that information and energy are interchangeable, but there is no conclusive evidence to support this idea. The concept of information being converted into energy is still a topic of research.

5. What are the implications of information being a conserved quantity?

If information is indeed a conserved quantity, it would have significant implications for fields such as thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and computer science. It could also have implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics.