Is the Black Hole Information Paradox Truly Resolved?

OCD
TL;DR Summary
what is the consensus about the information paradox?
from what I understand it is believed that information is preserved but we are still working out how exactly, is this the case?

Physics news on Phys.org
OCD said:
TL;DR Summary: what is the consensus about the information paradox?

from what I understand it is believed that information is preserved but we are still working out how exactly, is this the case?
What research have you done on this? What have you found so far?

Have you read "The Black Hole Wars" ?

phinds said:
What research have you done on this? What have you found so far?

Have you read "The Black Hole Wars" ?
no I haven't read "The Black Hole Wars" I know that it covers the dispute between Susskind and hawking and that Hawking eventually concedes to a information preservation resolution. from what I understand Susskind's answer to the paradox is the holographic principle. Most of the recent literature that I have found about this topic conclude that information is in fact not lost which is why I asked the question.

OCD said:
Most of the recent literature that I have found
Please provide specific references.

OCD said:
Thanks. Both of these papers illustrate a common problem with theoretical approaches to this issue (as well as many other issues). The framework they are working in is an asymptotically Anti-de Sitter (AdS) spacetime. This is commonly done in string theory and related fields because it is mathematically tractable. Unfortunately it is also physically irrelevant, because our universe is not asymptotically Anti-de Sitter, it is asymptotically de Sitter. So a physically relevant model would have to use something like Schwarzschild-de Sitter spacetime, i.e., a black hole in a de Sitter background.

And of course we have no actual data that shows anything relevant to the question, nor do we have any expectation of getting any any time soon.

In other words, anyone who claims that the black hole information paradox is "resolved", or that we "know" that information is preserved, is not accurately describing the actual state of research the field; instead, they are optimistically assuming that their preferred viewpoint will eventually end up being confirmed by relevant data and theoretical models.

Likes Imager and DrChinese