Is It Appropriate to Email a Research Group Leader Directly as an Applicant?

In summary, the program staff advised the OP to contact the research group leader directly. If the group has an administrative assistant, I would recommend contacting them first. However, if the group leader doesn't have time to respond or if there is already a designated person to handle undergraduate interns, the group leader will likely forward the e-mail to the appropriate individual.
Cumberland
I applied to an undergraduate program at a nearby national lab that is tailored for students in the region. I was advised by one of the program staff to contact a research group that I'm interested in working with to let them know that I'm in the applicant pool, and that I am interested in working for them along and also my credentials. Would it be appropriate to email the research group leader directly, or should i just contact the administrative assistant for the group?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cumberland said:
I applied to an undergraduate program at a nearby national lab that is tailored for students in the region. I was advised by one of the program staff to contact a research group that I'm interested in working with to let them know that I'm in the applicant pool, and that I am interested in working for them along and also my credentials. Would it be appropriate to email the research group leader directly, or should i just contact the administrative assistant for the group?

If the group has an administrative assistant I'd say to contact them first. My guess would be that it's better to contact someone too low on the chain than to contact someone too high on the chain.

I don't know what an "administrative assistant for the group" is. Administrative staff in my experience is somewhat detached from the scientific work. You need to a) talk with someone who knows what the group is actually doing in detail and b) get the group leader informed at some point. I recommend directly writing to the group leader. If he/she wants to delegate a) to someone on the staff he/she can still do that.

Cumberland said:
Would it be appropriate to email the research group leader directly

Yes, and I encourage you to first compose a well-thought letter clearly explaining *why* you are interested in working with that *particular* group. If you really want to make a good first impression, call the researcher (or leave a message on voicemail), quickly introduce yourself and ask to send the email (which also contains a resume and contact information) so that it doesn't get routed to spam.

I'm not one of the most stellar students; so: I'm normally filtered out of the top candidates by administrators, and my best means for an internship or working position is to contact the lead research scientists or PI directly.

If you pursue a position using this method, then you most definitely want to do your research. Use your school's network to look up their publications and presentations, or read their webpage if they have one to learn more about their opportunity. Be diligent. I also find that asking questions really helps, and it shows interest and your understanding of their project or team. Don't just call or e-mail asking for a job.

Good luck!

Andy Resnick said:
Yes, and I encourage you to first compose a well-thought letter clearly explaining *why* you are interested in working with that *particular* group. If you really want to make a good first impression, call the researcher (or leave a message on voicemail), quickly introduce yourself and ask to send the email (which also contains a resume and contact information) so that it doesn't get routed to spam.

I'm curious about your advice. It sounds like the OP is trying to join a pretty large group (maybe for a "big science" experiment), so it's likely that the research group leader has nothing to do with bringing aboard an undergraduate. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cumberland said:

If the program staff suggested that you contact the research group directly, then do so. Make sure you indicated at the beginning of your e-mail that so-and-so at such-and-such program recommended that you contact this person.

I would go directly to the group leader. If he/she doesn't have time to respond, or if there is already a designated person to handle undergraduate interns (I was one of those people who gets forwarded e-mail in my old group whenever our group leader got this type of e-mail), then he/she will forward it to the appropriate individual.

Zz.

Likes Timo
Dishsoap said:
I'm curious about your advice. It sounds like the OP is trying to join a pretty large group (maybe for a "big science" experiment), so it's likely that the research group leader has nothing to do with bringing aboard an undergraduate. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I made no assumptions other than what my preferences are when an undergrad contacts me about doing research in my lab.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I decided to email the group leader. I would consider the group to be somewhat small. Probably 20+ people.

Related to Is It Appropriate to Email a Research Group Leader Directly as an Applicant?

1. How do I find contact information for a research group?

You can usually find contact information for a research group by visiting their university department's website or by searching for their names on a search engine. You can also reach out to the university's office of research to inquire about contact information for specific research groups.

2. What should I include in an email when contacting a research group?

When contacting a research group, it is important to introduce yourself and explain your interest in their research. You should also mention any relevant experience or skills you have that make you a good fit for their group. It is also helpful to include your CV or resume and any relevant publications or projects you have worked on.

3. How long should I wait for a response when contacting a research group?

The response time for contacting a research group can vary, but it is common to wait about 1-2 weeks for a response. If you haven't heard back within this time frame, you can send a follow-up email to inquire about the status of your inquiry.

4. Can I contact multiple research groups at once?

Yes, it is generally acceptable to contact multiple research groups at once. However, it is important to personalize each email and not send a generic mass email to multiple groups. This shows a genuine interest in their specific research and increases your chances of receiving a response.

5. Is it appropriate to contact a research group for a specific project or position?

Yes, it is appropriate to contact a research group for a specific project or position. In fact, many research groups welcome inquiries from individuals who are interested in a specific project or position. However, make sure to clearly state your interest and qualifications for the project or position in your email.