Is it Beneficial to Pursue CS and Robotics Minors for a Career in Robotics?

In summary, the individual is interested in working in robotics after graduating with a major in mechanical engineering. They are considering getting both a CS and Robotics minor, which will require about 30 extra credit hours. They are wondering if these minors will be beneficial for grad school and how employers will view them. They are also involved in their school's robotics club and are more interested in research and group projects for grad school rather than internships.
Quantumfied
Hey guys I’m interested in working in robotics when I graduate college. I’m currently a junior. My major is mechanical engineering. I’m wondering if getting both a CS minor and a Robotics(this is actually built for mechengi and EE majors at my school so I can do it with some over lap for about only 9 credits extra) minor. Would it be wise to do this? I have an interest in both and doing these minors will require me to do a little less than 30 credit hours which I can do during summer terms and my last 2 terms since they’ll only be 2 course semesters. I am planning on grad school. Will these minors be beneficial for grad school and how will employers view them (i am in my school robotics club as well). Thanks for any advice on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantumfied said:
Will these minors be beneficial for grad school
You should probably ask your faculty advisor this question. Are you planning on going to grad school at the same school?
Quantumfied said:
how will employers view them
I don't hire MEs, but I'm much more interested in practical experience than I am in minors at school. Have you done any internships in ME? What kind of summer jobs are you applying for? What projects have you worked on in your Robotics Club?

berkeman said:
You should probably ask your faculty advisor this question. Are you planning on going to grad school at the same school?

I don't hire MEs, but I'm much more interested in practical experience than I am in minors at school. Have you done any internships in ME? What kind of summer jobs are you applying for? What projects have you worked on in your Robotics Club?

I just joined robotics this semester as well as joining SAE, as far as SAE goes we’re still doing safety forms and stuff for that but we pretty much work on everything to do with our off road car except we are given a fixed engine that can’t be tuned that puts out 10 horse power. Everything else like the frame is built from scratch and optimized for competition. This is also my first semester in robotics and so far we have built a portable submarine (this was an ice breaker project) and we’re currently working on constructing a holotank. I am definitely more interested in grad school currently so I’m more interested in doing research and group projects than I am for internships because I still have 2ish years left for under grad and then another 2 for grad school so I still have time for internships.

1. What is a CS Minor?

A CS minor is a program of study in the field of computer science that requires students to complete a set number of courses in the subject area. It is typically paired with a major in another field, allowing students to gain a basic understanding of computer science while focusing on their primary area of study.

2. What is a Robotics Minor?

A Robotics minor is a program of study that focuses on the design, construction, and programming of robots. It typically includes courses in computer science, engineering, and mathematics, and can be paired with a major in a related field such as mechanical engineering or computer science.

3. Can I pursue both a CS Minor and Robotics Minor?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both a CS minor and a Robotics minor. However, it may require careful planning and course selection to ensure that all requirements for both programs are met.

4. What are the benefits of completing a CS Minor and Robotics Minor?

Completing a CS Minor and Robotics Minor can provide a well-rounded education in both computer science and robotics, which are increasingly important fields in today's technology-driven world. It can also open up a variety of job opportunities in industries such as manufacturing, healthcare, and entertainment.

5. Are there any prerequisites for a CS Minor and Robotics Minor?

The specific prerequisites for a CS Minor and Robotics Minor may vary depending on the university or program. However, it is common for students to have a strong background in mathematics, including courses in calculus and discrete mathematics, as well as some programming experience before pursuing these minors.