Is it legal to share paid scientific articles?

In summary, the legality of emailing a downloaded PDF to someone else will depend on the license agreement between the publisher and your university. Typically, the license only allows for authorized users at the university, so sending it to someone who is not authorized would be a breach of the agreement.
LittleMrsMonkey
I'm sorry but I didn't find any other place appropriate to post this other than General Physics.
Say I have downloaded a pdf of a paper that's not open access for free via my university's VPN connection.Is it legal to e-mail the pdf to someone else?

Physics news on Phys.org
This will generally depend on the license agreement between the publisher and your university. I am not an expert in copyright law, but from just reading the typical license agreement that PRD offers, I would say that the license is only for authorised users at the university. This would make it a breach of the license agreement to e-mail it to someone who is not authorised by your university.

1. What are the copyright laws surrounding sharing paid scientific articles?

Copyright laws vary by country, but in general, it is illegal to share paid scientific articles without permission from the copyright holder. This includes sharing articles with colleagues or posting them online.

2. Can I share paid scientific articles for educational or research purposes?

In most cases, sharing paid scientific articles for educational or research purposes falls under fair use laws. However, it is best to check the specific copyright policies of the publisher or journal before sharing.

3. Is it legal to share paid scientific articles with my co-authors or collaborators?

In most cases, sharing paid scientific articles with co-authors or collaborators is allowed. However, it is important to check the copyright policies of the publisher or journal to ensure proper attribution and usage.

4. Are there any exceptions to the copyright laws for sharing paid scientific articles?

Some countries have open access laws that allow for the sharing of scientific articles without permission from the copyright holder. Additionally, some publishers have open access options that allow for free sharing of articles.

5. Can I include paid scientific articles in my own published work?

In most cases, including paid scientific articles in your own published work falls under fair use laws. However, proper attribution and citation must be given to the original source.