Is it possible to combine electronic engineering and physics for AI research?

In summary, the individual is a former 7th semester electronic engineering student who left the program due to boredom. They then went on to intern in Germany and Austria in the field of EEG models and signal processing. They are now 35 years old and have a strong interest in giving machines consciousness. They are considering studying AI from a theoretical perspective, using concepts from physics such as those used by Roger Penrose. They are unsure if there is a connection between their previous studies and their current interests and are wondering if they should pursue a degree in physics or computer science with a focus on AI. They have good language skills in English, German, and French.
eljosedelbrandi
hi there! in case I'm writting this in the wrong place, sorry!
i reached the 7th semester of electronic engineering and i left cause i got bored. this was 10 years ago. in this time i went to germany and austria as an intern, working in EEG models, signal processing, etc. I'm 35 now
thing is, i always had interest in providing consciousness to machines (loved those terminator movies), so i want to keep studying this AI branch, but not from the PoV of electronics, but rather from a theoretical conception that uses concepts of physics, like eg. Roger Penrose does.
is there a connection? should i quit EE and start physics all over? should i end EE (disgusted) and start a masters or phD in physics? is this even possible? i have good language skills in english, german and french.
thanks for ur help
joe

Physics news on Phys.org
^ This.

CompSci AI seems like a very good match for what you specified. It's also a very good field to go into currently.

thanks for ur answers. i found some links, but i can't figure out exactly which branch you're referring to. any site or book u recommend to begin with?

Yes, it is definitely possible to combine electronic engineering and physics for AI research. In fact, many AI systems today rely on a combination of electronic circuits and physics-based algorithms. For example, neural networks, a popular AI technique, use electronic components to simulate the connections between neurons in the brain. At the same time, the algorithms used in these networks are often based on principles from physics, such as gradient descent and backpropagation.

As for your specific situation, it is up to you to decide whether you want to continue pursuing electronic engineering or switch to physics. Both fields have valuable skills and knowledge that can contribute to AI research. If you are interested in the theoretical aspects of AI and want to explore concepts from physics, then pursuing a higher degree in physics may be a good option for you. However, if you already have a strong background in electronic engineering and enjoy working with circuits and hardware, then you may want to continue in that field and find ways to incorporate physics into your work.

Ultimately, it is important to choose a path that aligns with your interests and strengths. With your language skills and experience in both electronic engineering and neuroscience, you have a unique background that can be valuable in AI research. You may also consider seeking out interdisciplinary programs or research opportunities that allow you to combine both fields. Good luck with your decision!

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and physics?

Electrical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electromagnetism, and electronics. It focuses on designing, developing, and maintaining electrical systems and devices. Physics, on the other hand, is a natural science that studies the fundamental principles of nature, including matter, energy, motion, and the interactions between them. It encompasses a broad range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. Can an electrical engineer transition into a career in physics?

Yes, it is possible for an electrical engineer to transition into a career in physics. Both fields have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, which can be easily transferable. Additionally, many topics in electrical engineering, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics, are also studied in physics.

3. What skills from electrical engineering are useful in physics?

Electrical engineering and physics require similar skills, such as critical thinking, analytical reasoning, and problem-solving. Additionally, knowledge of circuit analysis, signal processing, and programming can be beneficial in many areas of physics, including experimental design and data analysis.

4. Are there any specific physics specializations that are related to electrical engineering?

Yes, there are several specializations in physics that are closely related to electrical engineering. Some examples include electromagnetism, photonics, and condensed matter physics. These fields explore topics such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves, the properties of light, and the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

5. How can knowledge of electrical engineering benefit a physicist?

Knowledge of electrical engineering can be beneficial to a physicist in many ways. For example, an understanding of circuit analysis and design can be useful in building and analyzing experimental setups. Additionally, knowledge of electronics and instrumentation can be valuable in collecting and analyzing data. Moreover, many modern physics research projects involve the use of advanced technology, which requires a strong background in electrical engineering.