Is it possible to create a quantum bomb?

In summary: Another similar idea, that was written by Heinlein in Starship Troopers, that with some kind of neutron trap, subcritical amount of radioactive isotopes could create a chain reaction.
Jaakub
I was wondering if it is possible to use bose-einstein condensate to create a warhead with more yield then any other bomb? If so please let me know I can't find anything about it online.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, it is not. I can't imagine why you think it might be so.

Vanadium 50 said:
No, it is not. I can't imagine why you think it might be so.
Scientists had, in simulation, created a bomb strong enough to destroy a planet.

Ans to answer your question, I thought that with bose-einstein condensate being at such a low temperature (177 nanokelvin) if it were to get rapidly heated it could cause a massive explosion.

Jaakub said:
Scientists had, in simulation, created a bomb strong enough to destroy a planet.
Please post a link to the journal article where this was reported...

berkeman said:
Please post a link to the journal article where this was reported...
Look up apophis. That is the name of the bomb project. It was looked into as a way to protect us from a massive asteroid.

Jaakub said:
Look up apophis. That is the name of the bomb project. It was looked into as a way to protect us from a massive asteroid.
I don't want to look it up. Please post a link to a peer-reviewed journal article about it (not a pop-sci article). Thank you.

Likes Amrator and russ_watters
berkeman said:
I don't want to look it up. Please post a link to a peer-reviewed journal article about it (not a pop-sci article). Thank you.
I can't remember the name of the article. Only the name of the weapon. That's why I didnt post the link

Jaakub said:
I can't remember the name of the article. Only the name of the weapon. That's why I didnt post the link
Apophis is an asteroid, and all I can find with a quick Google search are pop-sci articles speculating how to destroy it if it is on a collision course with Earth...

How does this fit in with the story you are writing? Looks like your thread was moved from "Science Fiction and Fantasy". In that case per our guidelines your question must be in reference to a specific work of science fiction or fantasy, not your own speculation. Does your question come from a specific work?

Last edited:
Jaakub said:
In the future you're going to need to do better than this. We have very high quality standards here. But since you're new and I'm really good at Google, I'd say odds are good that this is the article:
http://21sci-tech.com/Subscriptions/Fall-Winter-2012_ONLINE/TCS_F-W_2012.pdf
(bottom left, page 56)
...aaand you misread it. The hypothetical weapon would use anti-hydrogen, stored as a BEC.

And this is one reason why we require users to post sources. Clearly it is pointless for us to try to explain something that was misread in the first place!

Last edited:
Likes davenn, Evo, Vanadium 50 and 1 other person
russ_watters said:
In the future you're going to need to do better than this. We have very high quality standards here. But since you're new and I'm really good at Google, I'd say odds are good that this is the article:
http://21sci-tech.com/Subscriptions/Fall-Winter-2012_ONLINE/TCS_F-W_2012.pdf
(bottom left, page 56)
...aaand you misread it. The hypothetical weapon would use anti-hydrogen, stored as a BEC.

And this is one reason why we require users to post sources. Clearly it is pointless for us to try to explain something that was misread in the first place!

Since we now talk about anti-matter bombs, i found that.
https://www.livescience.com/61827-antimatter-van-plan.html

I wonder is it any realistic in near future, to store antimatter for long time enough to use it as fuel, or warhead?

Another similar idea, that was written by Heinlein in Starship Troopers, that with some kind of neutron trap, subcritical amount of radioactive isotopes could create a chain reaction.

Jaakub, we're going to close this due to speculation. Please contact me if this is in reference to a specific sci fi work. Thanks!

What is a quantum bomb?

A quantum bomb is a theoretical explosive device that would utilize the principles of quantum mechanics to cause a large-scale destructive force. It is often compared to a traditional nuclear bomb, but with even more devastating capabilities.

Is it possible to create a quantum bomb?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that a quantum bomb is feasible or even possible to create. While quantum mechanics allows for the manipulation of particles at a subatomic level, the technology and understanding needed to harness this power for a bomb are far beyond our current capabilities.

Why has there been research on quantum bombs?

Scientists have explored the concept of a quantum bomb as a thought experiment or as a way to further understand the complexities of quantum mechanics. It is not a practical or ethical pursuit for creating an actual weapon.

What are the potential dangers of a quantum bomb?

The effects of a quantum bomb would be catastrophic and unpredictable. It could potentially cause massive destruction and harm to both living beings and the environment. The technology used to create such a bomb could also have unintended consequences and implications for the future.

Are there any regulations or restrictions on researching quantum bombs?

While there are currently no specific regulations on researching quantum bombs, any research on weapons of mass destruction is heavily monitored and regulated by governments and international treaties. Additionally, the ethical implications of such research would likely deter scientists from pursuing it.