Is it possible to double jump in real life?

• Thread starter Lunct
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jump Life
In summary, the conversation was about whether or not it is possible to jump on the atmosphere by pressing on it hard enough. One person thinks it is possible while the other finds it absurd. The first person is trying to prove the second person wrong by calculating the necessary speed for a foot to generate lift force on the atmosphere. However, this conversation was not well-received in the forum and the thread was closed.
Lunct
I think it is not possible, my friend seems to think if you press hard enough on the atmosphere it will become dense enough to jump on.

Physics news on Phys.org
Lunct said:
I think it is not possible, my friend seems to think if you press hard enough on the atmosphere it will become dense enough to jump on.
With a person's feet? That's absurd.

Likes Nidum and Lunct
phinds said:
With a person's feet? That's absurd.
exactly what I was saying. So I am right?

Lunct said:
exactly what I was saying. So I am right?
What did I just say? Do I really need to say it again?

phinds said:
What did I just say? Do I really need to say it again?
I am trying to prove him wrong, okay.

Do a rough sum and show it to him . You have air density and area of bottom of an average foot . How fast would the foot have to be traveling through the air to get any useful lift force ?

Likes Lunct
Lunct said:
I am trying to prove him wrong, okay.
We do not debunk nonsense here at the PF. Thread is closed.

Likes Lunct

1. Is it physically possible for humans to double jump in real life?

No, it is not physically possible for humans to double jump in real life. Double jumping requires a person to push off the ground with their feet twice in quick succession while in mid-air, which goes against the laws of physics and the limitations of human anatomy.

2. Can any animals or creatures perform a double jump?

Yes, some animals and creatures have the ability to double jump. For example, certain species of frogs, grasshoppers, and kangaroos have been observed double jumping as a form of locomotion or defense mechanism. However, they are able to do so because of their unique physical abilities and adaptations.

3. How do video game characters execute a double jump?

In video games, double jumping is a fictional ability that is programmed into the game. It is often used as a gameplay mechanic to allow characters to reach higher platforms or perform impressive stunts. It is not based on any real-life physics or human capabilities.

4. Can technology or equipment be used to simulate a double jump?

No, there is currently no technology or equipment that can enable a person to double jump in real life. While devices like jetpacks or bionic implants may allow for increased jumping height, they do not replicate the specific action of pushing off the ground twice in mid-air like a double jump.

5. Are there any potential dangers or risks associated with attempting a double jump?

Attempting a double jump in real life can be dangerous and is not recommended. It can lead to serious injuries such as sprains, strains, or fractures. It is important to recognize the limitations of the human body and not try to replicate fictional abilities that go against the laws of physics.