Calculating relative velocity -- Jumping between two moving trains

verkamp
Homework Statement
two trains running parallel, same velocity. what happens if I jump from one train to another?
Relevant Equations
Vba = Vb - Va
is it possible?

I've given it quite some thought, and my conclusion was that it would be possible, cuz right after I jump, I'll still have the same velocity in the same direction as the running train?

Physics news on Phys.org
verkamp said:
Homework Statement: two trains running parallel, same velocity. what happens if I jump from one train to another?
Relevant Equations: Vba = Vb - Va

is it possible?

I've given it quite some thought, and my conclusion was that it would be possible, cuz right after I jump, I'll still have the same velocity in the same direction as the running train?
You will have the same velocity but there will be a wind blowing you back at the same velocity. You cannot ignore air resistance in this case, so don't try it.

kuruman said:
You will have the same velocity but there will be a wind blowing you back at the same velocity. You cannot ignore air resistance in this case, so don't try it.
Track separation (center to center) in the U.S. is generally 14 feet minimum (source Michigan DOT department of rail). Passenger rail cars are a bit under 10 feet side to side (source various). So that is about 4.5 feet of train to train gap measured from toe of jumping foot to heel of landing foot. Doable, but not supremely safe.

Watch out for signal posts.

Likes nasu and PeroK
Looks like this experiment has been carried out, at least once...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes jbriggs444 and kuruman

1. How do you calculate relative velocity when jumping between two moving trains?

To calculate relative velocity when jumping between two moving trains, you need to first determine the velocity of each train. Then, you can use the formula Vrel = V2 - V1, where Vrel is the relative velocity, V2 is the velocity of the second train, and V1 is the velocity of the first train. This will give you the relative velocity between the two trains at the moment of the jump.

2. What factors affect the relative velocity when jumping between two moving trains?

The relative velocity when jumping between two moving trains can be affected by the velocity of each train, the direction of their movement, and the distance between them at the moment of the jump. Other factors such as air resistance and the force of the jump itself may also play a role in the relative velocity.

3. Can you jump between two trains with different velocities?

Yes, it is possible to jump between two trains with different velocities. However, the relative velocity between the two trains will be greater if there is a larger difference in their velocities. This could make the jump more challenging and potentially dangerous.

4. How does the angle of the jump affect the relative velocity?

The angle of the jump can affect the relative velocity in two ways. First, if the jump is made at an angle perpendicular to the direction of the trains' movement, the relative velocity will be equal to the difference in their velocities. However, if the jump is made at an angle, the relative velocity will be less than the difference in velocities due to the horizontal and vertical components of the jump's velocity.

5. Is there a maximum relative velocity that can be achieved when jumping between two moving trains?

The maximum relative velocity that can be achieved when jumping between two moving trains is equal to the difference in their velocities. However, this maximum velocity may not be safe or feasible for a successful jump. It is important to carefully consider the speed and direction of the trains before attempting such a jump.