Is it possible to find this number without brute force?

• Thread starter julianwitkowski
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, this person is trying to compute the total number of integer polynomials under certain restrictions, but feels like there must be a way otherwise. They are considering factored form, 6D space, and potential root possibilities.
julianwitkowski
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, seems appropriate but I'm kind of just learning math. This started as a thought experiment to learn some new technique. I've been trying to compute the total number of integer polynomials under certain restrictions: such that all coefficients, x, and the constant term are all among the variables within the count.

I was told that this can only be done by brute force/enumeration, but I feel like there must be a way otherwise.

Basically all polynomials must suit the following restrictions:

± ax³ ± bx² ± cx ± d = 0

Such That...

1 ≤ a ≤ 100 ∈ ℤ [a ≠ 0 since it's a 3rd degree]
0 ≤ b ≤ 100 ∈ ℤ
0 ≤ c ≤ 100 ∈ ℤ
0 ≤ d ≤ 100 ∈ ℤ
0 ≤ x ≤ 100 ∈ ℤ

1(1)³ + 1(1)² - 1(1) - 1 = 0 ... is an example that would be counted...

2(1)³ + 2(1)² - 2(1) - 1 = 0 ... is not an example because... 2(1)³ + 2(1)² - 2(1) - 1 = 1

Could I create a 6D space for ax³ + bx² + cx + d = n and focus on the root for n between -100 and 100 ?

Do you have any way I could approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for all polynomial functions that have an integer root? It might be possible to use those roots as starting point - they allow to factor the polynomial, All polynomials ##(Ax^2+Bx+C)(x-x_0)## have an integer root at x0, and figuring out how many there are that satisfy the other conditions could be faster than brute force. Avoiding double counting might be complicated.

Without loss of generality, you can assume that the first summand is positive. Negative x are not allowed? That would make the problem more symmetric.

mfb said:
Are you looking for all polynomial functions that have an integer root?

Not necessarily, more so the permutations where all coefficients, the x variable, and constant term are considered and all some combination between -100 and 100 such that, the combination satisfies the RS to equal 0.

I'm trying to imagine a 6D surface: ax³ + bx² + cx + d = y ... It would be like a lower dimensional, x,y,z surface exhibiting all of the possibilities for that function, but just in a higher dimensional topology. I've heard in theory it should still work the same, so I was hoping the y intercepts could be sorted because that's where all of my answers are.

I've also been considering factored form as well, but not all integer polys can be factored and they won't neccesary factor all the same way so it's much harder to consider I think.

julianwitkowski said:
Not necessarily, more so the permutations where all coefficients, the x variable, and constant term are considered and all some combination between -100 and 100 such that, the combination satisfies the RS to equal 0.
What about x^3-4x^2+5x-2?
This has the solutions x=1 and x=2. If that is counted twice, then the approach I described in post 2 should work well because you don't have to care about double-counting.

All polynomials with integer roots can be factored that way. The second part (the quadratic one) might not have real factors - so what?

Likes julianwitkowski
mfb said:
What about x^3-4x^2+5x-2?
This has the solutions x=1 and x=2. If that is counted twice, then the approach I described in post 2 should work well because you don't have to care about double-counting.

All polynomials with integer roots can be factored that way. The second part (the quadratic one) might not have real factors - so what?

Yes, it would be counted twice. All root possibilities for any given polynomial would be a unique combination, and there is no rule saying that number can't repeat or anything either.

Thanks, I'm going to think about this and see what I come up with.

1. Can we use any other method besides brute force to find a specific number?

Yes, there are other algorithms and techniques that can be used to find specific numbers without brute force. These methods often involve utilizing mathematical principles or patterns to narrow down the search space and find the desired number more efficiently.

2. What are the benefits of using a method other than brute force?

Using a method other than brute force can save time and computational resources. Brute force involves trying every possible combination, which can be very time-consuming and resource-intensive, especially for larger numbers.

3. Is it always possible to find a number without brute force?

It depends on the number and the specific constraints or rules set for finding it. In some cases, brute force may be the only option. However, in many cases, there are alternative methods that can be used to find the number without brute force.

4. How do scientists determine which method to use for finding a specific number?

Scientists consider various factors such as the size of the number, the constraints, and the available resources when deciding which method to use. They may also experiment with different techniques to find the most efficient and effective way to find the number.

5. Can we apply the same method to find any number without brute force?

Not necessarily. Different numbers may require different methods to find them without brute force. Some numbers may have specific patterns or properties that can be exploited, while others may not. It ultimately depends on the number itself and the constraints set for finding it.