Is it possible to have a breathable atmosphere at 6 atm

• I
  • Thread starter caters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary: Pa, but if you increase the pressure to say 1 atm, the partial pressure will be around 133.3 kPa. So at 1 atm, CO2 would be in a liquid form.In summary, at 6 atmospheres CO2 would be in a liquid state between -56.4 degrees C and -53 degrees C.
caters
I was wondering if it is possible to have a breathable atmosphere at a sea level pressure of 6 atm(in other words, 6 times Earth's sea level atmospheric pressure).

Why am I asking this?

Well I know that above 5.11 atm, CO2 is past its triple point and thus it will become a liquid instead of going straight into a gas. Since at the critical point, the temperature is 31.1 degrees C and the pressure is 73 atm, this gives a wide range of temperatures and pressures for liquid CO2. Here is the phase diagram:

phase_diagram_CO2.jpg

At 6 atmospheres the CO2 will be liquid between -56.4 and -53 degrees C. So during the winter at the poles, there could be temporary CO2 lakes as the CO2 rains out of the sky. I see no problem with bacteria evolving to thrive in CO2 lakes and become spores when there either is too little CO2 or the temperature gets too hot or too cold for liquid CO2. After all, bacteria on our planet have evolved to thrive at extremes of hot and cold, extremely anaerobic environments, etc.

This could be a natural process against global warming because then you have less CO2 each year than would be predicted simply by adding emitted CO2 to pre-existing CO2 because that extra CO2 would be sequestered by the bacteria in CO2 lakes at the poles and also by plants and photosynthetic bacteria in temperate and tropical climates

But back to my question. Is it possible to have a breathable atmosphere at a sea level pressure of 6 atm or is that air pressure simply too high to be breathable, even with an Earth life compatible percentage range of gases?

Attachments

• phase_diagram_CO2.jpg
    phase_diagram_CO2.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,779
Physics news on Phys.org
Google "SCUBA."

Likes russ_watters
caters said:
Is it possible to have a breathable atmosphere at a sea level pressure of 6 atm or is that air pressure simply too high to be breathable, even with an Earth life compatible percentage range of gases?
Certainly, that would be breathable for a short amount of time, and the CO2 would be almost irrelevant. For prolonged exposure, oxygen toxicity would be a problem for a large portion of the population, and nitrogen narcosis would be a problem for another segment of the population. But I think that the CO2 exposure would be below the danger threshold for anyone.

I can't answer the question of a breathable atmosphere, but I can tell you that, at ground level, the partial pressure of CO2 is only 0.0004 bars. If you compressed the air 6 x, the partial pressure would "soar" to 0.0024 bars.

Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur and Merlin3189
With dinitrogen, a man would tend to get inert gas narcosis. Not sure how to quantify its level of seriousness at around 5,5 bar, but it is appreciable.

The less narcotic inert gases are He and Ne. At 11 km/s escape speeds, He tends to escape in timescale of millions of years. Ne does not.

Bystander said:
Google "SCUBA."
Or "saturation diving"

To get stable CO2 lakes your CO2 partial pressure has to be at least 5 times the atmospheric pressure. It is not sufficient to have a total pressure higher than 5 times the atmospheric pressure. The CO2 would be toxic within minutes - basically as long as you can hold your breath because breathing would just kill you faster.

It is possible to have a breathable atmosphere at 6 times the atmospheric pressure. Trimix is a common choice, helium together with nitrogen and oxygen to keep the partial pressures of nitrogen and oxygen low. Divers can live for weeks under these conditions, and probably longer if necessary. More than 60 bar have been tested, but they don't look safe for longer periods of time.

Likes Dale
I thought it was simply air pressure along with temperature that determined whether a certain gas goes into its liquid state or not. And like I said, at 6 atm, CO2 would only be liquid between -56.4 degrees C and -53 degrees C. So wouldn't simply compressing air that has a small amount of CO2 in it to 6 atm cause the CO2 to rain out as it condenses into liquid CO2 as long as you kept the temperature of the air between -56.4 degrees C and -53 degrees C? And well a CO2 lake at an air pressure of 6 atm, could only be stable in the polar regions. In fact, I don't think CO2 would rain out outside of the polar regions unless the clouds were so high up and even then, it would quickly evaporate back into the atmosphere. I don't know what the vapour pressure of CO2 is according to temperature and air pressure.

caters said:
I thought it was simply air pressure along with temperature that determined whether a certain gas goes into its liquid state or not.

As you have been told, it's not. It's the partial pressure.

Likes sophiecentaur
Partial pressure can be a hard idea to get hold of but it's all about the sum of all the gas molecules of each gas with it's own 'contributing' (= partial) pressure bashing into the walls of its container. All the momentum changes add up. If you condense most of the water vapour in a steam engine cylinder, all that you are left with is the partial pressures of the water at room temperature and of any gases that happen to be left in there - which could be very low. Mr Newcomen got it right.

As an everyday example: Temperatures on Earth are (basically) always below the boiling point of water at atmospheric pressure, but you don't see the humidity condensing everywhere. It can happen, but only at low temperatures when the partial pressure is above the equilibrium pressure at this low temperature.

caters said:
I was wondering if it is possible to have a breathable atmosphere at a sea level pressure of 6 atm(in other words, 6 times Earth's sea level atmospheric pressure).

Why am I asking this?

Well I know that above 5.11 atm, CO2 is past its triple point and thus it will become a liquid instead of going straight into a gas. Since at the critical point, the temperature is 31.1 degrees C and the pressure is 73 atm, this gives a wide range of temperatures and pressures for liquid CO2. Here is the phase diagram:

View attachment 226111

At 6 atmospheres the CO2 will be liquid between -56.4 and -53 degrees C. So during the winter at the poles, there could be temporary CO2 lakes as the CO2 rains out of the sky. I see no problem with bacteria evolving to thrive in CO2 lakes and become spores when there either is too little CO2 or the temperature gets too hot or too cold for liquid CO2. After all, bacteria on our planet have evolved to thrive at extremes of hot and cold, extremely anaerobic environments, etc.

This could be a natural process against global warming because then you have less CO2 each year than would be predicted simply by adding emitted CO2 to pre-existing CO2 because that extra CO2 would be sequestered by the bacteria in CO2 lakes at the poles and also by plants and photosynthetic bacteria in temperate and tropical climates

But back to my question. Is it possible to have a breathable atmosphere at a sea level pressure of 6 atm or is that air pressure simply too high to be breathable, even with an Earth life compatible percentage range of gases?

Is it possible to have A breathable atmosphere at 6 Bar? Yes, but not composed of Earth's atmospheric gases compressed to that level.

1. Can the Earth's atmosphere sustain a pressure of 6 atm?

Yes, the Earth's atmosphere can sustain a pressure of 6 atm. In fact, the average air pressure at sea level on Earth is about 1 atm, so 6 atm would be considered a high pressure environment.

2. What factors contribute to creating a breathable atmosphere at 6 atm?

The main factors that contribute to creating a breathable atmosphere at 6 atm are the composition of gases, temperature, and the presence of liquid water. These factors determine the density and stability of the atmosphere, which are important for sustaining life.

3. How would a 6 atm atmosphere affect human beings?

A 6 atm atmosphere would have a significant impact on human beings. The increased pressure would make it difficult for us to breathe, as our lungs would have to work harder to take in oxygen. It could also lead to decompression sickness if not acclimated properly. However, with the right technology and adaptations, humans could potentially survive and thrive in a 6 atm environment.

4. Are there any known planets or moons with a 6 atm atmosphere?

Yes, there are a few known planets and moons with a 6 atm atmosphere. For example, Venus has a surface pressure of about 9 atm, while Saturn's moon Titan has a surface pressure of around 1.5 atm. These environments are not suitable for humans, but they do provide insight into the potential for high pressure atmospheres to exist in our solar system.

5. Could a 6 atm atmosphere be artificially created on another planet?

It is theoretically possible to artificially create a 6 atm atmosphere on another planet, but it would require a significant amount of resources and technology. The composition of gases, temperature, and other factors would need to be carefully controlled in order to create a stable and breathable environment. It is currently not within our technological capabilities to create a 6 atm atmosphere on another planet.