Is it possible to magnify with a focal length of zero?

In summary: It is possible to magnify an image on a piece of paper with the magnifier sitting directly on top of the image, with no distance between the magnifier and the piece of paper. I have tried this with a magnifier sheet but if I sit the magnifier sheet directly on the paper, I get no magnification. I have to pull the magnifier back off the paper to get magnification. Thanks for your help.It is possible to magnify an image on a piece of paper with the magnifier sitting directly on top of the image, with no distance between the magnifier and the piece of paper. I have tried this with a magnifier sheet but if I sit the magnifier sheet directly on the paper, I get no
ksam
Is it possible to magnify an object if the magnifier is sitting directly on top of the object (a focal length of zero)? How can this be accomplished if it is not possible with a traditional magnifier?

Science news on Phys.org
A focal length of zero is not physically meaningful.

Focal length is normally measured from the effective average position of a lens, so for a thin lens it is assumed to be from the middle of the lens, rather than the surface which is closest to the object.

For a thicker lens, it is necessary to use a more complex calculation, involving the shapes of both faces.

It is possible for example to have a thick lens where the base is flat and the top is curved in such a way that the plane of the base is in focus when viewed from a suitable distance above the lens.

ksam said:
Is it possible to magnify an object if the magnifier is sitting directly on top of the object (a focal length of zero)? How can this be accomplished if it is not possible with a traditional magnifier?

Do you mean an object distance of zero?

ksam said:
With atomic force magnification the object is very close to the magnifier..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic-force_microscopy

Ok, let me simplify. How can I accomplish magnifying an image on a piece of paper with the magnifier sitting directly on top of the image, with no distance between the magnifier and the piece of paper. I have tried this with a magnifier sheet but if I sit the magnifier sheet directly on the paper, I get no magnification. I have to pull the magnifier back off the paper to get magnification. Thanks for your help.

I don't think that's possible because it implies an object distance that puts it on the lens.

I'm a bit rusty but I think you can start getting internal reflection instead of refraction. The change in refractive index is no longer Rair/Rlens but Robject/Rlens.

The magnifier in question would be 'Plano convex', I guess?? With the flat face on the paper.
What happens when there is a small but finite space underneath? (Say you support it on matchsticks or drinking straws). An easy experiment to try, which would avoid actual contact.
It's a good idea to dip into the Maths for this.
The only formula I know is for a thin bi convex lens. That tells you
m= f/(f-o)
Where m is the angular magnification, o is the object distance and f is the focal length. For o=0, this becomes m=1, which is what you are seeing.
See the Wiki article on lens magnification.

What is a focal length of zero?

The focal length is the distance between the lens and the image sensor when an object is in focus. A focal length of zero means that the lens does not have any curvature and the focal point is located at infinity.

Is it possible to have a focal length of zero?

In theory, yes, it is possible to have a focal length of zero. However, in reality, it is not feasible as it would require a lens with infinite thickness and size.

How does a lens with a focal length of zero affect magnification?

A lens with a focal length of zero would not have any magnifying power as it does not bend or converge light. It would essentially act as a window, allowing light to pass through without any change in the size of the image.

Can a focal length of zero be achieved with current technology?

No, current technology does not allow for a lens with a focal length of zero. The closest we can get is a lens with a very short focal length, such as a fisheye lens, but it will never be zero.

What are some potential applications for a lens with a focal length of zero?

A lens with a focal length of zero could potentially be useful in certain types of imaging systems, such as microscopy or telescopes, where the focus is not necessary or desired. It could also be used in some specialized optical experiments and research studies.