Is it possible to push Earth down more than you weigh?

• Thread starter deakin22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Push
In summary: If you jump up and down quickly, the scale will move up and down more than if you just stand still. This is because the force of your jumping is greater than the force of your standing still.
deakin22
Here's a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I was talking with a friend earlier and it just made me second guess...

So let's say

You are a bodybuilder. One day you decide to get on your knees (in a stationary position) and try and push the Earth down. Is the amount of force you exert entirely dependent on how much you weigh or does it matter if you can bench press 3/4/500 pounds? Does muscular strength even matter in this scenario?

Physics news on Phys.org
have a look at Newton's laws of motion, particularly Law III
... To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction: or the forces of two bodies on each other are always equal and are directed in opposite ...

Dave

deakin22 said:
Here's a question that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to, but I was talking with a friend earlier and it just made me second guess...

So let's say

You are a bodybuilder. One day you decide to get on your knees (in a stationary position) and try and push the Earth down. Is the amount of force you exert entirely dependent on how much you weigh or does it matter if you can bench press 3/4/500 pounds? Does muscular strength even matter in this scenario?

If you want to push the Earth with a force greater than your weight, you can jump. While you are accelerating your body upwards, the force on your body is greater than just your weight. Or you could throw a heavy weight straight up into the air - while you're accelerating it upwards the force you are exerting on it must be greater than its weight, and therefore the equal and opposite force on the Earth will also be greater.

You can see this effect pretty clearly by jumping up and down on a bathroom scale (if you can find one that won't break under the abuse).

Related to Is it possible to push Earth down more than you weigh?

1. Can the weight of an individual be enough to push down the entire Earth?

No, the mass of the Earth is approximately 5.97 x 10^24 kg, which is significantly greater than the weight of any individual. Therefore, the force exerted by an individual's weight is not enough to push down the entire Earth.

2. Is it possible for multiple people to push down the Earth together?

Even if a large group of people were to push down on the Earth, their combined weight would still not be enough to make a noticeable difference. The Earth's mass is simply too great to be affected by the weight of humans.

3. Would it be possible to push down the Earth if we had stronger muscles or technology?

Theoretically, if humans were to have significantly stronger muscles or technology that allowed us to exert a greater force, it is still unlikely that we could push down the Earth. The Earth's mass is simply too massive for any force we could produce to have a noticeable effect.

4. Is there any natural event that could cause the Earth to be pushed down more than its own weight?

No, the Earth is constantly in equilibrium, meaning that the forces acting on it are balanced. There are no natural events that could cause the Earth to be pushed down more than its own weight.

5. Could an asteroid or object from space push the Earth down more than its own weight?

No, even a large asteroid colliding with the Earth would not be enough to push it down more than its own weight. While the impact would have a significant effect on the Earth, it would not be enough to alter its mass or cause it to be pushed down more than its own weight.