Is it possible to use Iodine Solution as a colour indicator for modified starch?

• Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Colour
In summary, sodium hydroxide can change the physical and chemical properties of starch, potentially preventing a color change when iodine is added. Other factors such as the production of hypoiodite or changes in starch surface structure may also play a role. It is important to carefully observe and neutralize the solution before drawing conclusions about the reaction between sodium hydroxide and starch.
miniradman
Hello there. I was reading something on the affect sodium hydroxide has on ordinary starch from plain flour. I read that sodium hydroxide can change the physical and chemical properties of starch. I conducted an experiment where I mixed 2mol and 8mol sodium hydorxide with plain flour in a test tube. When I added the colour indicator (Iodine solution) to this mixture, there was no colour change. I was wondering if this is due to the sodium hydroxide changing the chemical properties of the starch or if I made a mistake somehow.

Thanks guys, any help or response will be appreciated :biggrin:

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you tried to neutralize the solution before adding iodine?

There are several possibilities here. One is - starch was changed and it won't ever react. Other is - starch was not changed, but the iodine reacted with hydroxide creating hypoiodide (which further disproportionated forming iodide and iodate). Another one - starch surface was changed in the hydroxide solution, but it will get to its initial state after pH gets back close to neutral.

I see, I'm not entirely sure wheather or not the production of hypoiodite existed during the investigation because I didn't observe anything which suggested a chemical reaction. Although I don't know what is meant by the change of surface?

miniradman said:
I see, I'm not entirely sure wheather or not the production of hypoiodite existed during the investigation because I didn't observe anything which suggested a chemical reaction.

When you mix diluted acid and diluted base you will not observe anything as well, it doesn't mean there was no neutralization taking place. So lack of simple observations doesn't tell whole story.

Although I don't know what is meant by the change of surface?

It is assumed that reaction between iodine and starch takes place on the starch surface, where iodine adsorbs and changes its color in effect (as far as I known mechanism is not 100% known/sure). It is enough that that in the high pH OH- are already adsorbed on the surface in the places where iodine could attach itself, to block the reaction (I am not saying that's what happening, I am just signaling kind of a mechanism). It is also possible that in high pH structure of the molecules is changing - they get twisted/straightened or something - and this new structure has no "pockets" for iodine adsorption (again: I am not saying that's the way it is, but similar mechanisms are known to be present in other molecules). Plenty of interesting possibilities.

I would like to say that it is possible to use iodine solution as a color indicator for modified starch. However, the results of your experiment suggest that the sodium hydroxide has indeed changed the chemical properties of the starch, which may have affected the color change with the iodine solution. It is important to consider the concentration and reaction time of the sodium hydroxide and starch mixture, as well as the purity and concentration of the iodine solution. Further experimentation and analysis may be needed to determine the exact cause of the lack of color change. I would also suggest exploring other color indicators that may be more suitable for detecting changes in modified starch. Overall, it is important to carefully design and control experiments to ensure accurate and reliable results.

Related to Is it possible to use Iodine Solution as a colour indicator for modified starch?

1. What is Iodine Solution and how does it work as a colour indicator for modified starch?

Iodine Solution is a chemical reagent that is commonly used as a colour indicator for the presence of starch. It works by forming a complex with starch molecules, resulting in a deep blue or purple colour. The intensity of the colour can indicate the amount of starch present.

2. Can Iodine Solution reliably detect modified starch?

Yes, Iodine Solution can detect both regular and modified starch. However, the intensity of the colour may vary depending on the type and degree of modification of the starch. Other methods, such as chromatography, may be more accurate for specific types of modified starch.

3. How is Iodine Solution used as a colour indicator for modified starch?

To use Iodine Solution as a colour indicator for modified starch, a sample of the starch is first mixed with the solution. The resulting colour is then compared to a standard colour chart to determine the starch content. Alternatively, a spectrophotometer can be used to measure the absorbance of the solution, which correlates to the concentration of starch.

4. Are there any limitations to using Iodine Solution as a colour indicator for modified starch?

One limitation is that Iodine Solution may not be effective for detecting very small amounts of modified starch. It can also be affected by other substances present in the sample, such as sugars or proteins, which may interfere with the formation of the complex and result in inaccurate readings.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using Iodine Solution as a colour indicator for modified starch?

As with any chemical reagent, it is important to handle Iodine Solution with caution. It can irritate the skin and eyes, so appropriate protective equipment should be worn. It is also important to dispose of any leftover solution properly, as it is considered a hazardous waste.