Is it safe to live 100 km from Fukushima for short time?

In summary: Sendai is located outside of any of these areas.There are various inhabited places with natural radiation levels of more than 1 µSv/h, that is the orange color surrounding the yellow areas. Sendai is located outside of any of these areas.
sarabiobio
I would like to know if is safe to stay in Sendai (less than 100 km from Fukushima). I have read different information in internet but I think is better to ask a expert, I am not sure about the radiation since it seems is not stable, it could be between 0.4-0.6 msv if I understood, is that ok to live there for 2 months? what about the food, swim in the sea and drink water? what are the health risk nowadays?
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
0.4 to 0.6 mSv is way below the dose you naturally get per year no matter where you live, and many places have more natural radiation than that within 2 months.

If you go there via an intercontinental flight, that alone can give you something like 0.1 to 0.2 mSv as radiation dose.

Likes sarabiobio and jedishrfu
mfb said:
0.4 to 0.6 mSv is way below the dose you naturally get per year no matter where you live, and many places have more natural radiation than that within 2 months.

If you go there via an intercontinental flight, that alone can give you something like 0.1 to 0.2 mSv as radiation dose.

Thanks for your answer, I don't know too much about what mSv means but according to what I search in internet that's per hour, so I thought 0.06 per hour means 0.06x24x 60days = 86.4 mSv in total one would get there during 2 months (I read the dose is accumulative that is why I did that, and then I read clsoe to 100mSv start to have some effects in the body that is why I was worried. Please correct me if I am wrong.

You certainly won't live in a place where you get 86 mSv in two months. You would probably have to live on the reactor site for that.

mfb said:
You certainly won't live in a place where you get 86 mSv in two months. You would probably have to live on the reactor site for that.

so you mean is nothing to worry about? even drinking the water from the tap water and so?

There is nothing to worry about.

I don't know the quality of Japanese tap water, it could be problematic for chemical or biological reasons.

6 years after the event, the radiation which can affect you comes entirely from the contaminated ground (and trees which pull salts from it) - air and water do not contain any radioactive particles by now, it is all washed off. (Well, unless there would be a large forest fire in the contaminated zone, which is not usual).

Looking at the contamination map, you only need to avoid some rather small territories. I bet you can't easily get there anyway, since they are evacuated or restricted, but anyway, here's the map.

Sendai is located on the shore, at the very top of this map.

fuku_evac_zone_2011_2014.jpg

Likes mfb
I found this interactive map

http://www.nnistar.com/gmap/fukushima.html

Interactive means it's new and kept updated, but in this case this is not important, since contamination is in the ground and therefore is not moving.

It is mainly useful because it shows a larger area, and this allows to easily see what is the "natural" level (rad levels farthest from the Fukushima) and how much Sendai is different from it. The answer is: Sendai is ok. At most, twice as much as background, which is less than worldwide natural variability.

Likes mfb
Correction. Looks like the "interactive" map is actually old, not updated for years. Still useful, though.

nikkkom said:
This one is recent

http://safecast.org/tilemap
Sendai is far away from any regions with even slightly elevated radiation levels.

There are various inhabited places with natural radiation levels of more than 1 µSv/h, that is the orange color surrounding the yellow areas.

1. Is the radiation level still high in Fukushima?

As of now, the radiation level in Fukushima has significantly decreased compared to right after the nuclear accident in 2011. However, there are still areas with higher levels of radiation, so it is important to follow the safety guidelines set by the government.

2. How long is considered a "short time" to live in Fukushima?

The definition of a "short time" may vary depending on the individual and their specific circumstances. Generally, it is recommended to limit exposure to high levels of radiation for a few days or weeks at most.

3. What are the potential health risks of living 100 km from Fukushima for a short time?

The potential health risks of living 100 km from Fukushima for a short time are relatively low. However, there is still a possibility of exposure to radiation, which can increase the risk of cancer and other health issues. It is important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure as much as possible.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when living near Fukushima for a short time?

Some safety precautions that should be taken when living near Fukushima for a short time include staying indoors as much as possible, avoiding contaminated areas, and following the recommendations of the government and local authorities. It is also important to monitor the radiation levels and evacuate if necessary.

5. Is it safe for children and pregnant women to live 100 km from Fukushima for a short time?

Children and pregnant women are more vulnerable to the effects of radiation, so it is important for them to take extra precautions when living near Fukushima. This includes limiting outdoor activities, staying indoors, and following safety guidelines. It is best to consult with a healthcare professional for specific recommendations.