Is it true that suffering and pain connect humans more strongly?

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary, when we are happy, our focus is often on our own desires and we may forget about others. Some believe that in a society without religion, empathy dies away. However, I disagree and believe that while human nature may be selfish, we can still confine this selfishness and have empathy for others. Suffering and pain can be a powerful force that connects us and creates strong bonds. Even more so than happiness, these experiences can lead to understanding and sympathy for others. This can also be seen in the bonds formed between soldiers in combat. However, I would argue that common goals, such as freedom or survival, can also unite people and create strong bonds. On the other hand, when people have too much time and
jackson6612
When we are happy, we are more concerned with feeding our own desires and mostly forget others. They say in religionless society empathy gradually dies away. I don't subscribe to this notion. Human nature is selfish by its very nature but that selfishness can be confined, if not completely overcome.

Suffering and pain are an important material for the social thread we connect us all. They connect us strongly than anything else. If compared with happiness, I don't think happiness plays any role to have empathy for others around you. One who has walked through, only he can understand its pain. And that sad memory of pain will produce sympathy for others when one sees others going through hell.

Physics news on Phys.org
jackson6612 said:
When we are happy, we are more concerned with feeding our own desires and mostly forget others. They say in religionless society empathy gradually dies away. I don't subscribe to this notion. Human nature is selfish by its very nature but that selfishness can be confined, if not completely overcome.

Suffering and pain are an important material for the social thread we connect us all. They connect us strongly than anything else. If compared with happiness, I don't think happiness plays any role to have empathy for others around you. One who has walked through, only he can understand its pain. And that sad memory of pain will produce sympathy for others when one sees others going through hell.

I might argue that what unites us most strongly are common goals; esp those driven by needs or idealism. If a people are oppressed or impoverished, the common goal of freedom, or three meals a day, can unite those who are suffering. Likewise, the common goal of survival can produce some of the strongest bonds of all, among soldiers. This comes to mind right now because of something said at a family gathering for Thanksgiving. A young relative of ours who did five rotations in Iraq [two years in total] actually wanted to go back to Iraq for another tour, but was denied. When I asked why he would want to go back, he said it was the bonds that he formed with the other soldiers. I have heard this sort of thing many times. The bonds formed between soldiers in combat may be the some of the strongest found anywhere.

I would also offer a counter example of what you argue. Without meaning to undermine the value or significance of social causes or those dedicated to them, here in the US, when people have too much time and money on their hands, they often get involved in some social causes.

1. Is the idea that suffering and pain connect humans more strongly supported by scientific evidence?

There is some scientific evidence that suggests that experiencing suffering and pain together can create stronger bonds between individuals. Studies have shown that when people go through difficult experiences together, they often show more compassion and empathy towards each other, leading to stronger connections.

2. Is this connection between suffering and human bonding universal across all cultures?

There is some evidence that suggests that the connection between suffering and human bonding may vary across cultures. Some cultures may prioritize individualism and self-reliance, while others may place a higher value on communal bonds and support during times of suffering. However, there is also evidence that suggests that suffering can bring people from different cultures together, as it is a shared human experience.

3. Can suffering also lead to negative effects on relationships?

While suffering can sometimes bring people closer together, it can also have negative effects on relationships. For example, prolonged suffering can lead to feelings of resentment or anger towards others, and it can also create a sense of isolation and withdrawal in individuals. The impact of suffering on relationships may also depend on the level of support and coping mechanisms available to individuals.

4. Are there any evolutionary reasons for the connection between suffering and human bonding?

Some scientists suggest that the connection between suffering and human bonding may have evolved as a survival mechanism. In prehistoric times, humans relied on cooperation and support from others to survive in harsh environments. Experiencing suffering together may have strengthened social bonds and increased chances of survival.

5. How can understanding the connection between suffering and human bonding be applied in real-life situations?

Understanding the link between suffering and human bonding can have practical applications in various fields such as psychology, sociology, and healthcare. It can help individuals and communities develop more effective ways of coping with suffering and building stronger relationships. It can also aid in the development of interventions and support systems for individuals and communities experiencing suffering.