Is laser beam visible in vacuum?

In summary, light is an electromagnetic wave that bounces off objects and we see reflected light. In a dark room with only one light source, a toy laser, the beam is only visible because it interacts with air and dust. In vacuum, the laser beam is usually invisible, but in rare cases, it may interact with the vacuum.
Rigel84
This is what I understand about light.
Light is electromagnetic wave, it comes from the source, bounces from the objects and we see reflected light.
Let's imagine next situation. We are in a dark room and we got only one light source, a toy laser. When we turn it on, we can clearly see beam coming out of our toy and point on the wall where beam hits the wall.
My guess is that we see that beam only because it interacts with air and dust.
Is laser beam visible in vacuum?

Science news on Phys.org
You are correct. Often, the laser beam is invisible as it passes through the air. When it is visible, it is because of dust and perhaps fog.

I believe that, in theory, it is possible for a laser to be so powerful that it interacts with a vacuum, but that would be a very exceptional experiment.

1. Is laser beam visible in vacuum?

Yes, laser beams are visible in a vacuum.

2. Why is a laser beam visible in a vacuum?

A laser beam is visible in a vacuum because it is made up of light particles (photons) that are able to travel through a vacuum and interact with our eyes.

3. Can laser beams travel through a vacuum?

Yes, laser beams can travel through a vacuum as they do not require a medium like air or water to propagate.

4. Does the color of a laser beam change in a vacuum?

No, the color of a laser beam does not change in a vacuum. The color of a laser beam is determined by the wavelength of light it emits, which remains constant regardless of the medium it travels through.

5. Can laser beams be used in space or on other planets?

Yes, laser beams can be used in space and on other planets as they are not affected by the lack of atmosphere or different gravitational conditions. They have been used in various scientific experiments and space missions.