Is Lean Six Sigma Certification Worth the Effort?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interest in earning a Lean Six Sigma certification, the level of difficulty in obtaining a green belt, and whether Six Sigma or statistical software would be more beneficial for employment in semiconductor manufacturing or a job involving statistical quality control. The speaker shares their personal experience and opinions on the effectiveness and value of 6S certification, emphasizing the importance of using the training for personal development rather than relying on it for career advancement. They also mention the usefulness of statistical software such as Minitab in the 6S methodology.
wvuphys
I currently work in semiconductors (research) and I am interested in earning my Lean Six Sigma certification, possibly through a university online class. Has anyone gone through the process? If so, what is the level of difficulty to obtain a green belt? I have a solid background in statistics.

Also, does Lean Six Sigma make the most sense for possible employment in semiconductor manufacturing or a job which requires a knowledge of statistical quality control? Would six sigma by itself suffice or would I better spend my time learning some statistical software such as JMP or Minitab?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Six Sigma methodology is great, powerful stuff.
But do it for yourself. If your company pays for it, then even better. Maybe someone will notice. If someone notices, then the economy must be in the tank.

I am a 6S believer & advocate because I have used it and know it works.
I am a 6S cynic because of how it is perceived to useless bean-counter management in almost every industry.

And the advocates can become their own worst enemy. Motorola is a powerful case history.

I learned the rudiments of 6S wa-a-a-ay back in the early 80's before it was called 6S. Before anybody was swaggering around bragging about this color belt or that color belt. I was rigorously trained multiple times in the "Shainin" 6S methodology. My personal opinion is that the Shainin approach is a much more realistic & pragmatic approach to a very dynamic, chaotic manufacturing environment than the current "rigorous" approach to 6S.

What I have seen over the years is that when the economy is down, then all of the trolls in management jump on the 6S bandwagon as a way to deflect their poor management ability and pursue a vague "improvement" campaign using 6S. When the economy booms, 6S is treated like a leper because it hinders revenue expansion.

Regarding certification (again, IMHO) it is completely bogus. "Certification" means absolutely nothing when one can get "certified" for $100 over the internet. During my last 6S training (an utterly redundant "Green Belt Certification") I told the Arrogant Corporate Instructor this little tidbit. He was speechless and could not respond. I still got my "belt". Big Deal.

So, again: do it for yourself. It MAY help your career by having this on your resume. Don't be bitter if it does not. Use the training (if it is legitimate) to do better work, and your career will advance because of that.

The final part of your question: Minitab is an excellent tool for crunching numbers in the 6S methodology because of powerful statistics, graphics capabilities, and extensive industry support.

Related to Is Lean Six Sigma Certification Worth the Effort?

1. What is Lean Six Sigma Certification?

Lean Six Sigma Certification is a professional development program that teaches individuals how to improve business processes by combining the principles of Lean and Six Sigma methodologies. It is designed to help organizations reduce waste, increase efficiency, and improve quality in their operations.

2. Why is Lean Six Sigma Certification important?

Lean Six Sigma Certification is important because it provides individuals with the knowledge and skills to identify and solve problems within an organization. It also helps organizations to reduce costs, increase customer satisfaction, and stay competitive in the market.

3. How do you become Lean Six Sigma certified?

To become Lean Six Sigma certified, individuals must complete a training program and pass an exam. There are different levels of certification (e.g. Yellow Belt, Green Belt, Black Belt) depending on the level of expertise. Some organizations also require individuals to complete a project as part of the certification process.

4. What are the benefits of Lean Six Sigma Certification?

The benefits of Lean Six Sigma Certification include improved problem-solving skills, increased efficiency and productivity, higher job opportunities and career advancement, and the ability to lead process improvement projects within an organization.

5. Is Lean Six Sigma Certification suitable for all industries?

Yes, Lean Six Sigma Certification is suitable for all industries as it focuses on improving processes and reducing waste, which can be applied to any type of organization. It has been successfully implemented in industries such as healthcare, manufacturing, finance, and service industries.