Is Learning Calculus First Necessary for Self-Studying Physics?

In summary, the most efficient route for self-learning physics would be to first focus on mastering calculus and trigonometry, as these concepts are necessary for even basic high school level physics. The presentation of the material is less important compared to understanding the subject matter itself. It may also be helpful to develop a ritual or routine, such as drinking tea while studying, and using caffeine as a tool for motivation. While there is a lot of information available online, a good textbook is still essential for a comprehensive understanding of physics and math.
member 624364
Hello.

I’d like to self-learn physics. basically starting from a zero knowledge background to keep things simple.

I have asked before and some individuals said that it is using your time to learn it once you know calculus? Is this true or should I start learning the basics now so that when I get to more advanced physics say end of high school 1st year physics undergrad that then knowing calculus would be useful?

Currently I have not yet gotten to learning calculus, I am finishing algebra and starting pre-Calc.

Would it be most efficient and beneficial to dedicate my time currently to simply learning calculus and then to learning physics? I am simply looking for the most efficient route so I don’t waste my time learning from a basic maths physics book that I will later down the line learn once again but with a calculus emphasis or something.

Also, as a side note, does this same rule apply to chemistry and biology? I would like to learn them as well but maybe not to as high a degree, say end of high school level.

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget end of high school. You'll need calculus even for starting physics of high school level. That's what makes it difficult for me to recommend any book. Let's see what others recommend.

But you should give greater part of your time in calculus and Trigonometry. Those should be at your finger tips. Otherwise you'll face serious trouble later.

Likes member 624364
what is important is the subject matter. the presentation is less important, though i guess maybe more valuable when you are just getting started out. the class that made the most impact on me was discrete math because it taught me the language to read my calculus textbook the next semester. i.e. set notation, logic and knowledge of how to do proofs. i am largely self taught though i took Calc I and II. i ignored the professors and just read my textbook, and still did well on exams and homework.

i find that caffeine helps with motivation (and probably other things ... but i take high doses which cannot be healthy). at your age you could probably drink tea and it wouldn't hurt your brain development. developing a ritual of self study tied to tea drinking could work. that's what i do now, except with coffee, but I'm an adult. maybe you don't need that, it's just a suggestion based on what works for me for self study.

there's a lot of physics and math you can learn on the internet, but i think it would be hard to do without a good textbook. internet explanations are often not complete in my experience.

1. What is physics?

Physics is the scientific study of matter, energy, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe and explain the behavior of all natural phenomena.

2. Why should I learn physics?

Physics is a fundamental science that provides the foundation for many other fields of study, such as engineering, chemistry, and astronomy. It also helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and can lead to exciting and fulfilling career opportunities.

3. Is physics difficult to learn?

Physics can be challenging, but with dedication and effort, anyone can learn and understand its concepts. It requires a solid foundation in mathematics and a willingness to think critically and creatively.

4. What are some important topics in physics?

Some important topics in physics include mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and quantum mechanics. These topics cover a wide range of phenomena, from the motion of objects to the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. How can I start learning physics?

There are many ways to start learning physics, such as taking a class, reading textbooks and online resources, and conducting experiments. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and to practice problem-solving regularly. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.