Is learning derivations of formulae always very important?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the importance of understanding and being able to derive equations and formulas in physics, rather than simply memorizing them. The speakers also discuss the potential problems that may arise in future studies if one only relies on memorization. It is emphasized that the ability to derive equations is a vital skill in scientific fields, and that this skill becomes even more important in advanced courses and research.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I understand that it is useful to learn and remember the derivations of formulae in most cases. However, I tend to forget the derivations of several formulae, especially those in optics and dynamics.

For a moment, let's forget the examinations. I wish to pursue higher studies in applied physics, if possible either on particle physics, or something related to quantum. What problems can I face in future if I do not remember the derivations, but remember the formulae well?

Physics news on Phys.org
This response is more broadly about derivations using any or much of one's arithmetic or algebra skills. Everyone in the physical sciences, natural sciences, engineering, or any other field which relies on Mathematics absolutely must have skill enough to perform some algebraic derivations. Just as much, a person must be able to take numerical information directly from real or fictional situations and derive his own needed formula.

Likes Wrichik Basu
This depends on what you mean. If you mean remembering exactly each step of the derivation of a known formula, then no. However, this
Wrichik Basu said:
What problems can I face in future if I do not remember the derivations, but remember the formulae well?
makes me very concerned. Science is not about being able to plug and chug things into formulae. It is about being able to start from something known and from there being able to synthesise new knowledge. As such, a vital skill is to be able to derive the needed relations based on your input. For example, I do not remember all of the derivations of different relations that are in my book, but give me half an hour and I will most likely be able to reproduce them for you.

The needed skill is to be able to derive the relations, not to memorise the derivation of known relations.

Likes symbolipoint
Orodruin said:
depends on what you mean. If you mean remembering exactly each step of the derivation of a known formula, then no.

Yes, I was meaning remembering formulae step by step.

Orodruin said:
However, this makes me very concerned. Science is not about being able to plug and chug things into formulae. It is about being able to start from something known and from there being able to synthesise new knowledge. As such, a vital skill is to be able to derive the needed relations based on your input. For example, I do not remember all of the derivations of different relations that are in my book, but give me half an hour and I will most likely be able to reproduce them for you.

The needed skill is to be able to derive the relations, not to memorise the derivation of known relations.
Skills needed to derive relations are a different story, and is 180° opposite to memorising formulae. I know that plugging values into formulae is only about 0.1% of Science.

My school teachers think that if one memorised derivations and can recall that, then that person knows physics. But I have a different view - formulae are not everything in physics. As you said, if you give me some time, may be I'll be able to derive the formulae. But I cannot always memorise derivations, and that is where the conflict arises. So, I wanted to understand what are opinions of experienced professors, who have faced a world of research.

Thanks for the help.

Wrichik Basu said:
I understand that it is useful to learn and remember the derivations of formulae in most cases. However, I tend to forget the derivations of several formulae, especially those in optics and dynamics.

For a moment, let's forget the examinations. I wish to pursue higher studies in applied physics, if possible either on particle physics, or something related to quantum. What problems can I face in future if I do not remember the derivations, but remember the formulae well?

If you can derive the formulas from first principles, you'll remember them and know how to really use them; if all you do is passively memorize them you won't be able to do as much or be as potentially creative with them.

To put it another way: you should be able to reconstruct a derivation from scratch, given enough time, using your understanding of the fundamental physical principles and your knowledge of mathematical techniques, not simply regurgitate the detailed steps from memory.

Are you still at the introductory (first-year university) level in studying physics? In those courses, most exercises ask you to calculate a numerical value as the answer. In upper-level courses, on the other hand, most exercises ask you to derive an equation as the answer.

Wrichik Basu said:

You must learn your own derivations/understanding of topics. Not necessarily the ones by textbooks.

To give an example: I always found textbook derivations of the Coriolis and centrifugal force in classical mechanics quite complicated. Untill I did my PhD involving General Relativity, in which suddenly this Coriolis force became a big deal. I found that you can easily deduce these forces by performing a time-dependent rotation on a geodesic equation in which initially the connection coefficients are zero (this already defines a certain frame of reference). It cleared up a lot of confusion.

You need to develop your own coat rack to put your own understandings if you really want to understand stuff at a deep level.

Likes Wrichik Basu
I think it's alright to use base x height if you want to get the area of a rectangle (basic geometry), but it's probably helpful knowing why it doesn't work well on different shapes and what you could do to get the area otherwise (ie. an integral). I don't think I'd be getting the right answer if I applied base x height to a pentagon shaped object.

I'm still early into my career as an engineer, but I'm quickly seeing the consequences of people who were really good at reciting formulas without understanding it. They heavily rely off of tribal knowledge and luck to move forward, and they act more like technicians rather than engineers or researchers. I cannot remember everything to the last detail neither am I suggesting anything positive about my own skills, but I think it's good to at least see and understand derivations at least once; to understand what assumptions or approximations were made, and why these formulas work or what kind of parameters/conditions invalidate it.

jtbell said:
To put it another way: you should be able to reconstruct a derivation from scratch, given enough time, using your understanding of the fundamental physical principles and your knowledge of mathematical techniques, not simply regurgitate the detailed steps from memory.

Are you still at the introductory (first-year university) level in studying physics? In those courses, most exercises ask you to calculate a numerical value as the answer. In upper-level courses, on the other hand, most exercises ask you to derive an equation as the answer.
That characterization of beginning university Physics is not correct. Students in Physics 1 - Fundamental Mechanics DO learn right away and throughout, to derive their answers from the needed fundamental equations and mathematical principles.

symbolipoint said:
Students in Physics 1 - Fundamental Mechanics DO learn right away and throughout, to derive their answers from the needed fundamental equations and mathematical principles.
Indeed, but I often felt like Sisyphus, constantly reminding / urging / nagging students to "first do the algebra, then do the arithmetic", i.e. derive an equation that gives the desired final numeric answer, and not plug numbers into one fundamental equation after another, daisy-chain style. :rolleyes:

Likes symbolipoint
jtbell said:
Indeed, but I often felt like Sisyphus, constantly reminding / urging / nagging students to "first do the algebra, then do the arithmetic", i.e. derive an equation that gives the desired final numeric answer, and not plug numbers into one fundamental equation after another, daisy-chain style. :rolleyes:

That's easy to fix. Just put in your syllabus that the partial credit stops when the numbers go in.

Likes member 587159, vela and symbolipoint
jtbell said:
Vanadium 50 said:
That's easy to fix. Just put in your syllabus that the partial credit stops when the numbers go in.
Exactly! That is, in fact, what many courses (especially in Physics) REQUIRE of the students. No credit given without picking the necessary equations, drawing the representative diagram, and then deriving the answer in symbolic form, before doing the substituting of values.

1. Why do we need to learn derivations of formulae?

Derivations of formulae are important because they allow us to understand the underlying principles and concepts behind a specific formula. This helps us to apply the formula more accurately and confidently in various situations.

2. Is it necessary to memorize derivations of formulae?

While it is not always necessary to memorize derivations of formulae, having a basic understanding of the derivation process can help with memorization and make it easier to recall the formula when needed. However, it is more important to understand the principles and concepts behind the derivation rather than just memorizing it.

3. Can I use a formula without knowing its derivation?

Yes, you can use a formula without knowing its derivation. However, having a basic understanding of the derivation can help you to better understand and apply the formula in different scenarios.

4. How can learning derivations of formulae improve problem-solving skills?

Learning derivations of formulae can improve problem-solving skills by providing a deeper understanding of the concepts and principles involved in a formula. This can help in identifying and solving complex problems that require the use of multiple formulas and techniques.

5. Are there any benefits to learning derivations of formulae in different subject areas?

Yes, there are many benefits to learning derivations of formulae in different subject areas. It can help in developing critical thinking skills, improve mathematical and analytical abilities, and enhance overall understanding of various scientific concepts and theories.