Is light speed faster coming from a smaller star?

In summary, light is not slowed down by gravity and always travels at c. Black holes do not slow down light, but rather bend its path through gravitational lensing. The reason light cannot escape a black hole is because of the extreme redshifting of light traveling directly outward and the bending of light traveling at an angle towards the black hole.
PaulRacer
If gravity slows light, would light be pushed faster away from a star that has less gravitational pull? Would we still observe it at c?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity doesn't slow light, light travels at C.

What about black holes?

What about them?

[edit] And to save some time, does my previous post have anything to say about this question...?

Last edited:
PaulRacer said:
What about black holes?

I'm pretty amateur about all this but even I know that black holes don't slow light, they change it's path. The effect is called gravitionally lensing.

Now when it comes to light not being able to escape a black hole... I'm not sure why that happens...

Exactly the same reason. Spacetime is bent so strongly around a black hole that the start and endpoint of a light rays path is within the event horizon, any light leaving the 'surface' of the black hole will be bent back onto it.

Salbris said:
I'm pretty amateur about all this but even I know that black holes don't slow light, they change it's path. The effect is called gravitionally lensing.

Now when it comes to light not being able to escape a black hole... I'm not sure why that happens...

Light traveling directly outward from the black hole is redshifted so much it loses all of its energy. Light traveling at an angle out from the black hole is bent back in towards the black hole.

Ok, sorry for the wasted space. Light travels at c...no exceptions. Thanks!

Related to Is light speed faster coming from a smaller star?

1. Is light speed faster coming from a smaller star?

Yes, light speed is faster coming from a smaller star. This is because smaller stars have less mass, which means they have weaker gravitational pull. Light travels at a constant speed in a vacuum, but it can be affected by gravity. Therefore, in a weaker gravitational field, light can travel faster.

2. How is light speed affected by the size of a star?

The size of a star can affect light speed in two ways. First, as mentioned before, the gravitational pull of a star can slow down or speed up light. Second, the size of a star can determine its temperature and energy output, which can affect the frequency and wavelength of the light it emits. However, the speed of light itself remains constant regardless of the size of the star.

3. Can light speed be faster than the speed of light coming from a smaller star?

No, light speed cannot be faster than the speed of light, regardless of the size of the star. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest speed possible and cannot be exceeded. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and cannot be changed.

4. Are there any other factors besides size that can affect light speed?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect light speed, such as the medium through which light is traveling. Light travels slower in denser mediums, such as water or glass, compared to a vacuum. Additionally, the frequency and wavelength of light can also be affected by factors like temperature and gravity.

5. Can light travel at different speeds within the same star?

No, light will always travel at the same speed within a given medium. While the temperature and energy output of different parts of a star may vary, the speed of light itself remains constant. However, the path of light may appear to bend due to the star's gravitational pull, giving the illusion of different speeds.