Is $M$ a Finite Metric Space if $BC(M)$ is a Finite Real Vector Space?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
In summary, a finite metric space is a mathematical structure with a finite set of points and a distance function that satisfies three properties. BC(M) refers to the set of all bounded continuous real-valued functions on the metric space M. If BC(M) is a finite real vector space, it implies that M is also finite. However, M cannot be a finite metric space if BC(M) is infinite. This statement has significant implications in topology and functional analysis, emphasizing the importance of understanding function spaces in mathematical analysis.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Prove that if $M$ is a metric space, then $M$ is finite if and only if the set $BC(M)$ of bounded continuous functions $f : M \to \Bbb R$ is a finite dimensional real vector space.-----

Remember to read the https://mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to https://mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
The set of evaluation maps $\{\operatorname{ev}_x:x\in M\}$ is linearly independent in the dual space $BC(M)^*$, so $M$ has cardinality not exceeding the dimension of $BC(M)^*$; if $BC(M)$ is finite dimensional, so is $BC(M)*$, so then $M$ has finite cardinality, i.e., $M$ is finite. Conversely, if $M$ is finite, say, $M = \{x_1,\ldots, x_n\}$, the maps $f_i : M \to \Bbb R$ given by $f_i(x) = 1_{x_i}(x)$ are elements of $BC(M)$ and form a basis for $BC(M)$. Thus, $BC(M)$ is finite dimensional.

1. What is a finite metric space?

A finite metric space is a set of points with a defined distance function between them, where the number of points in the set is finite. It is used to measure the distance between any two points in the space.

2. What is the significance of $BC(M)$ in determining if a metric space is finite?

$BC(M)$ refers to the set of bounded continuous functions on the metric space $M$. If this set is finite, it implies that the metric space $M$ is also finite. This is because a finite number of bounded continuous functions can only be defined on a finite number of points in the metric space.

3. How does the cardinality of $BC(M)$ relate to the cardinality of $M$?

The cardinality of $BC(M)$ is directly related to the cardinality of $M$. If $BC(M)$ is finite, then the cardinality of $M$ must also be finite. However, if $BC(M)$ is infinite, then the cardinality of $M$ can be either finite or infinite.

4. Can a finite metric space have an infinite number of points?

No, a finite metric space, by definition, has a finite number of points. This is because the distance function between any two points in the space must be well-defined and finite.

5. Are there any other factors besides $BC(M)$ that determine if a metric space is finite?

Yes, besides $BC(M)$, the cardinality of the metric space and the distance function itself also play a role in determining if a metric space is finite. The distance function must be well-defined and finite for all points in the space, and the cardinality must be finite for a metric space to be considered finite.