Is mechanical engineering the right thing to learn?

In summary, the conversation discusses the best field of study for designing car parts. Mechanical engineering is recommended as it provides a strong foundation in theories and principles that can be applied to car design. Automotive engineering is also mentioned, but it may limit career prospects. Sources for learning mechanical engineering are suggested, such as MIT Open Courseware and a Wikipedia article on automotive engineering. The importance of completing an IMechE Accredited MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering course and gaining practical experience through a summer internship is emphasized.
Tapeman
Hello, this is my first post on physics forum. I really want to learn to design car parts, from engine blocks to wish bones. From what I've found it seems like mechanical engineering would definitely be useful for a foundation, but I just want to make sure there isn't a field more specific I could be studying.

Also what are some good sources for learning mechanical engineering? I looked at MIT Open Courseware but every course seemed to be missing lectures. I'm fine with any medium, books, videos, tutorials, etc.

Engineering news on Phys.org
With mechanical engineering, you will understand a whole lot of theories and principles, that you may as well apply to design of cars and their parts. With automobile engineering, you will probably learn these same principles, but apply them only to cars, engines etc. during your entire period of graduation. So you will be better at cars as an automobile engineer , than a mechanical engineer. The only drawback is however, you will be good, only at automobiles. That might limit career prospects for you.

Having never finished high-school, I can give you only my opinion. That is, you can't go wrong with Mechanical. I base that upon the fact that Auto, Aero, Structural, etc. all have a base in Mechanical. Again, though, that is only my opinion an outsider; real engineers might feel otherwise.

Steer away from any course called automotive engineering - never considered to be on par with other engineering disciplines. Do an IMechE Accredited MEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering course - you'll have the best chance of getting a graduate job designing car parts :) - the honest truth - oh, and do a summer internship in an engineering company.

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, construction, and operation of machines and mechanical systems. It involves the application of principles from physics, materials science, and mathematics to create and improve mechanical devices.

2. Is mechanical engineering a good career choice?

Yes, mechanical engineering is a highly versatile and in-demand field with a wide range of job opportunities. It offers a good salary, job stability, and the chance to work on diverse projects and industries.

3. What skills do I need to have to excel in mechanical engineering?

To excel in mechanical engineering, you need to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and materials science. You should also have good problem-solving and analytical skills, as well as proficiency in computer-aided design (CAD) software.

4. What are the job prospects for mechanical engineers?

The job prospects for mechanical engineers are excellent, with a projected job growth of 4% from 2019 to 2029. Mechanical engineers can work in various industries such as manufacturing, automotive, aerospace, and renewable energy, among others.

5. What are the common misconceptions about mechanical engineering?

Some common misconceptions about mechanical engineering include that it is only about fixing cars or that it is a dirty and physically demanding job. In reality, mechanical engineering involves much more than just working on cars, and advancements in technology have made it a clean and less physically taxing profession.