Is My Calculation for Free Fall Acceleration Using a Single Photogate Accurate?

In summary, The homework statement says that free fall acceleration can be determined by dropping a marble through a single photogate. The CPO timer attached to the photogate can measure the time it takes for the marble to pass between the arms. Knowing the diameter of the marble enables one to calculate the speed. However, my calculations are showing a ridiculously large value for g. What am I doing wrong?
Greenarrow

Homework Statement

Can free fall acceleration be determined by dropping a marble through a single photogate?
The CPO timer attached to the photogate can measure the time it takes for the marble to pass between the arms. Knowing the diameter of the marble enables one to calculate the speed. If the marble is dropped just above the IR beam, the initial velocity can be assumed to be zero. Therefore, the dropping distance is the diameter of the marble. However, my calculations are showing a ridiculously large value for g. What am I doing wrong?

Homework Equations

Δy = ½aΔt2

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I looked up information on how to determine g using photogate. All information points to using two photogates or a picket fence.
2) The diameter of the marble is 1.9 cm and the time taken by the marble to cross the IR beam is 0.0457 seconds. Since the marble is dropped just above the beam, vi =0.
Using the equation; Δy = ½aΔt2,
a = 2*Δy/Δt2 = 2*0.019/0.04572 = 18.19 m/s2

The logic and reason makes complete sense to me, but the numbers are not what I am expecting. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The time is too short. The calculation is very sensitive to the "just above the beam" part - drop it 2 millimeters too high and you get the 0.0457 seconds instead of the expected 0.0654.
The photogate has some finite height as well. It is hard to model this, but you can add free parameters that get adjusted based on experiments.

How exactly is the marble released?

I hold the marble so that the light on the photogate turns red (indicating an obstruction), then gradually raise it till it is green (ubobstructed). I realize that this is a very crude method, but I try several times to find the point where the marble is just clearing off from the path of the light beam. Like what mfb replied above, it might be the small difference between the "true" zero initial velocity and what the actual experiment has that makes the difference. I also repeated the experiment with two photogates connected to a CPO timer. This arrangement is capable of measuring the time difference between what is recorded by these two photogates. Still the error is very high. However, when I increase the distance between the photogates, the error is reducing. Now I am suspecting the sensitivity of the photogates. The timer shows a 4 decimal reading though.

The height of the beam window sounds like a good bet. Perhaps try lowering the marble slowly to measure the distance the marble is actually being timed over. Add a pin hole screen?

CWatters said:
The height of the beam window sounds like a good bet. Perhaps try lowering the marble slowly to measure the distance the marble is actually being timed over. Add a pin hole screen?
Yes, that seems the most likely. Also, perhaps the line of descent of the marble is not quite central, so it is not measuring the full diameter.

1. What is free fall acceleration?

Free fall acceleration is the acceleration of an object due to the force of gravity alone. It is the rate at which an object increases its velocity while falling freely in a vacuum.

2. How is free fall acceleration calculated?

The free fall acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = g = 9.8 m/s², where a is the acceleration and g is the gravitational acceleration constant. This formula applies when an object is falling freely in a vacuum.

3. Does free fall acceleration differ on different planets?

Yes, free fall acceleration can differ on different planets due to variations in their mass and radius. For example, on Earth, the free fall acceleration is 9.8 m/s², but on the Moon, it is approximately 1.6 m/s².

4. How does air resistance affect free fall acceleration?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can slow down the acceleration of an object in free fall. This is because air resistance is a force that acts opposite to the direction of motion, and it increases as the object falls faster. This means that the acceleration due to gravity will decrease as the object falls through the air.

5. Can free fall acceleration be negative?

Yes, free fall acceleration can be negative if the object is accelerating downwards due to gravity. This occurs when the object's initial velocity is upwards, and the acceleration due to gravity is acting in the opposite direction. However, the magnitude of the acceleration will still be positive, as it is always measured as a positive value.