Is my formula for determining heat time and wattage for steel correct?

In summary, the author is trying to determine the wattage needed to heat 179lb's of steel 1440F in 30 minutes.
JustLearning2
Hello. New here and trying to figure out if my formula is right. I'm a controls guy so this other stuff keeps me on the ropes!

Trying to heat 179lb's of steel 1440F in 30 minutes and find wattage needed. It appears the formula is:

#Lb's X specific heat X differential temp
3.415 x .5 (minutes)

179 x .12 x 1440

18,130.8 Watts

Does this seem correct? This is all from trying to determine if a heat treat furnace can bring these parts up to temp in the required amount of time. Thanks for any replies.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Oops-sorry about the thread title. "heating time of steel in Watts" doesn't make any sense... I've been thinking too hard again ;-)

JustLearning2 said:
179lb's of steel 1440F in 30 minutes and find wattage needed.
mass = 179 lbs = 81.193 kg
d_temp = 1440°F = 800°C
time = 30 min = 1800 sec
At room temperature, the specific heat of Iron/Steel = 452. J/kg/°C

Energy needed is 452.(J/kg/°C) * 81.193(kg) * 800.(°C) = 29359388.8 joule.
This energy must be delivered over 1800 seconds. The rate is therefore;
29359388.8(J) / 1800(s) = 16310.771 watt = 16.31 kW.

There will be changes of the specific heat with temperature. They must be considered.
Any phase transitions in the steel will require additional energy.
The specific heat is also dependent on alloy.

See figures 1 to 5 in "On the Specific Heat of Carbon Steels", Saburo Umino.
http://publikationen.ub.uni-frankfu...deliver/index/docId/14044/file/E001892563.pdf

Last edited:
Likes CalcNerd and Randy Beikmann
JustLearning2, I'd just comment that the way Baluncore did the problem makes it much easier to do it correctly, and to follow. He took all the input data and converted it into consistent units. Then he split it up into calculating the total amount of energy Q needed, and finally divided by the time allowed. This way also, you can do a sense-check on each portion of the problem. This will make your life easy. ;-)

JustLearning2, welcome to PF.

Randy Beikmann, thanks for the commentary.

If the fundamental principles are not understood, memorising formulae will lead to misapplication.
I kept my units in the numerical solution. Following the unit cancellations through the computation makes it obvious that the dimensional analysis is correct.

I was not completely happy with my post because;
I failed to make it clear that one joule per second is one watt.
I carried too many digits through the computation, I did it to avoid scientific notation in Windows Calculator.

Likes Randy Beikmann

1. What is the definition of "heat time of steel in Watts"?

The heat time of steel in Watts is a measurement of the amount of time it takes for a specific amount of heat energy to be applied to a unit of steel. It is typically measured in watts, which is a unit of power, and is used to determine the rate at which heat is transferred to the steel.

2. How is the heat time of steel in Watts calculated?

The heat time of steel in Watts is calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy applied to the steel by the power of the heat source. This calculation takes into account the specific heat capacity of steel, which is the amount of energy required to raise the temperature of a unit of steel by one degree.

3. What factors can affect the heat time of steel in Watts?

Several factors can affect the heat time of steel in Watts, including the type and size of the heat source, the composition and thickness of the steel, and the surrounding temperature and environment. Other variables such as the method of heat transfer and the presence of any insulating materials can also impact the heat time of steel.

4. Why is the heat time of steel in Watts an important measurement?

The heat time of steel in Watts is an important measurement because it helps determine the efficiency and effectiveness of heat treatments and processes on steel. It is also crucial in manufacturing and industrial processes where precise control of heat and energy is necessary for the production of high-quality steel products.

5. How can the heat time of steel in Watts be optimized?

The heat time of steel in Watts can be optimized by carefully selecting the heat source and method of heat transfer, as well as by controlling the surrounding environment and any insulating materials. Additionally, understanding the specific properties and composition of the steel being heated can help in determining the most efficient and effective heat treatment process.