Is My Nickel Actually Made of Gold?

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nickel
In summary, the conversation revolved around a nickel that appeared to be made of gold, but upon closer inspection, had a bit of "silver" coloring. There was discussion about cutting it open to find out for sure, but the downside was not being able to use it to buy soda at work. The conversation then shifted to discussing Archie Meedies and the possibility of the nickel being a "gold clad" buffalo nickel. The conversation ended with a joke about not accepting "wooden nickels" and a suggestion to peel back the foil to find chocolate inside.
russ_watters
Mentor
So, WTH is going on here? I received this otherwise ordinary-seeming nickel as change for my lunch today. It appears to be made of gold (plated?). I didn't make the scratches on it; my guess would be that some other curious individual was as confused as I am and decided to see if it was just plated. To the naked-eye, it would appear not, but in the close-up photo I am seeing a bit of "silver" coloring, implying that it is. I'm tempted to cut it open to find out for sure. Downside being that then I can't use it to buy 0.923 ounces of soda at work...

Opinions?

attachment.php?attachmentid=72648&d=1409707469.jpg

Attachments

• P1080322.JPG
    P1080322.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,040
Physics news on Phys.org
Plot twist: It's actually a penny

Measure its weight against a normal nickle.

lisab said:
Measure its weight against a normal nickle.

WAD - What would Archie do?
(Except running around naked)

Enigman said:
(Except running around naked)
What is that supposed to mean ?

What is that supposed to mean ?
I guess he means Archie Meedies. You know, that guy whose best buddy was Harry Stottle.

Likes 1 person
Ben Niehoff said:
They just had "gold clad" buffalo nickels on sale last night for $9.99. Limit 5 per customer. Each had 14 mg of gold "cladding".

edit: the caveat was that these were not actually US currency. Just copies of buffalo nickels.

just don't accept any "wooden nickels" :wink:

Dave

Do a quick check.
Peel back the foil and there should be some milk chocolate inside.

What is Golden Nickel?

Golden Nickel is a type of nickel that has a golden color due to a high concentration of gold atoms within the metal.

What are the properties of Golden Nickel?

Golden Nickel has similar properties to regular nickel, including high corrosion resistance and electrical conductivity. However, it also has a higher melting point and is more malleable due to the presence of gold.

How is Golden Nickel used?

Golden Nickel is primarily used in decorative applications, such as jewelry and coins. It can also be used in electrical components, aerospace industry, and as a catalyst in chemical reactions.

Is Golden Nickel rare?

Yes, Golden Nickel is considered a rare type of nickel due to its high concentration of gold. It is only found in specific locations and is typically more expensive than regular nickel.

Can Golden Nickel be artificially produced?

Yes, Golden Nickel can be artificially produced through a process called electroplating, where a thin layer of gold is coated onto the surface of regular nickel. However, the resulting metal may not have the same properties as naturally occurring Golden Nickel.