Is My Pramac GSL30 Generator Dead? Testing and Identifying Coil Connections

In summary, my mate has bought a Pramac GSL30 generator (30kVA) 'as seen' and it does not seem to be working. Inside the connection box of the Stamford alternator unit, someone has been fiddling - the output wires have been disconnected and taped, and the AVR has also been unplugged. Now, it's a 12-wire stator, corresponding to six coils. It was hooked up as a series star, giving 415V ph-ph and 240V ph-n. This is the configuration we want. I've isolated the 12 wires, and identified how they relate to each coil. Using a Megger at 500V, I've found that some coils are >3G
Guineafowl
A mate of mine has bought a Pramac GSL30 generator (30kVA) ‘as seen’, and of course there is no output.

Inside the connection box of the Stamford alternator unit, someone has been fiddling - the output wires have been disconnected and taped, and the AVR has also been unplugged.

Now, it’s a 12-wire stator, corresponding to six coils. It was hooked up as a series star, giving 415V ph-ph and 240V ph-n. This is the configuration we want.

I’ve isolated the 12 wires, and identified how they relate to each coil. Using a Megger at 500V, I’ve found that some coils are >3Gohm apart, while others are less than 10k. Have I done enough to call the alternator dead?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Guineafowl said:
Using a Megger at 500V, I’ve found that some coils are >3Gohm apart, while others are less than 10k. Have I done enough to call the alternator dead?

I wouldn't call it dead yet.
Sounds to me like moisture in the insulation .

In the plant we 'dried' electric motors to get their resistance readings up to snuff..
Sometimes by covering them and placing big incandescent light bulbs underneath
sometimes by connecting a welder and applying somewhat less than full load current(there's no cooling airflow when it's stationary so feel the windings often)
sometimes simply by energizing the built in "heater" resistors.
We'd plot resistance readings every hour or so.

Brush out any carbon dust and grime. A soap and distilled water wash is strong but permissible medicine , follow by a good long heated dry.

Guineafowl said:
I’ve isolated the 12 wires, and identified how they relate to each coil.
I find a Boy Scout compass and small DC source (D-cell battery or wall-wart) handy for that check but it's easier with the rotor out..

Good Luck !

Likes Fisherman199, dlgoff, Averagesupernova and 1 other person
jim hardy said:
I wouldn't call it dead yet.
Sounds to me like moisture in the insulation .

In the plant we 'dried' electric motors to get their resistance readings up to snuff..
Sometimes by covering them and placing big incandescent light bulbs underneath
sometimes by connecting a welder and applying somewhat less than full load current(there's no cooling airflow when it's stationary so feel the windings often)
sometimes simply by energizing the built in "heater" resistors.
We'd plot resistance readings every hour or so.

Brush out any carbon dust and grime. A soap and distilled water wash is strong but permissible medicine , follow by a good long heated dry.I find a Boy Scout compass and small DC source (D-cell battery or wall-wart) handy for that check but it's easier with the rotor out..

Good Luck !
Brilliant.

Its most likely use was as a standby generator, so it could have sat for a while, condensating.

Looks like I’ll have to pull it from the engine and have a look inside. Pics to follow.

Many thanks, Jim.

Likes jim hardy
jim hardy said:
I find a Boy Scout compass and small DC source (D-cell battery or wall-wart) handy for that check but it's easier with the rotor out..

Thankfully I discovered a diagram of the wire connections under the top plate (after I’d cleverly worked out the configuration).

Guineafowl said:
Thankfully I discovered a diagram of the wire connections under the top plate (after I’d cleverly worked out the configuration).
Sounds like the wire markers were still there. That's Good Luck - whoever disconnected it didn't cut them off .

1. How do you test a 3 phase generator?

To test a 3 phase generator, you will need a multimeter or a phase rotation meter. Start by disconnecting the generator from any load or power source. Then, connect the multimeter or phase rotation meter to the generator's output terminals. Start the generator and check the voltage readings on each phase. The readings should be equal and stable. You can also test the generator's frequency and power output using a load bank.

2. What is the purpose of testing a 3 phase generator?

The purpose of testing a 3 phase generator is to ensure that it is functioning properly and producing the correct voltage, frequency, and power output. This is important for ensuring the safety and reliability of the generator and the equipment it powers.

3. What are the common problems found during testing a 3 phase generator?

Some common problems found during testing a 3 phase generator include unbalanced voltage and frequency, low or high voltage output, and unstable voltage or frequency readings. These issues can be caused by a variety of factors such as faulty wiring, damaged components, or improper maintenance.

4. How often should a 3 phase generator be tested?

The frequency of testing a 3 phase generator depends on its usage and environment. In general, it is recommended to test the generator at least once a year or before and after any major use. However, if the generator is used frequently or in harsh conditions, more frequent testing may be necessary.

5. Can a non-professional test a 3 phase generator?

While it is possible for a non-professional to test a 3 phase generator, it is recommended to have a qualified electrician or generator technician perform the testing. They have the knowledge and experience to properly interpret the results and identify any potential issues. Additionally, they have the necessary equipment to perform more thorough and accurate testing.