Is My Samovar Really 110V or 220V? Decoding the Resistance of the Element

In summary, the element in the samovar is likely not a 220V element and would be damaged if used in a 220V outlet. The resistance of the element measured 12 ohms, which is indicative of a 110V element. The on/off switch is a "push button" style that only clicks on if the samovar is plugged in. There is no switch to select between voltage, so the samovar must be plugged into a 220V outlet to work.
ER_Doc
Need some help please. Bought a Samovar (electric water pot) from overseas. Seller told me it is 110V compatible but the base plate not sp clearly says 110v/220V in Russian. Seller tells me that I should not use it in a 220V outlet but when plugged into a 110V it took 45 minutes to boil 8L of water. This is the result I expect if a 220V item is urged into 110v which means it operates st 25% power. So I don't know if Seller is just bluffing me or he is serious that the element is a 110V element which would then be damaged on a 220V outlet.

I disassembled the unit. The resistance measures about 12OHMS. Is this any indication that it is actually 220V and not 110V?

Help please. I'm not an electrician but more of a tinkerer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Assuming that the resistance of the element does not rise when it gets hot.
120 volt, 12 ohms → 10 amps → 1200 watt.
220 volt, 12 ohms → 18.33 amps → 4033 watt.

Are you sure the element has only two terminals ?
If it had three or four, it could be wired for 120 V or 220 V.

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Even if the samovar can take it, the electrical installation at your home might not be able to take it. 16 Amps is common. I think appliances that go into a wall plug are never more than about 3kw, because it would be too easy for someone to blow a fuse.

Likes russ_watters
Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

Assuming that the resistance of the element does not rise when it gets hot.
120 volt, 12 ohms → 10 amps → 1200 watt.

Are you sure the element has only two terminals ?
If it had three or four, it could be wired for 120 V or 220 V.
Thank you for the reply. Only 2 prongs. I checked resistance without unsoldering the element from its wires. This should not affect the measurement should it? The on/off switch is a "push button" style that only clicks on if samovar is plugged in. So I believe circuit should be open during measurement of resistance across the element.

ER_Doc said:
..the base plate not sp clearly says 110v/220V in Russian.
Could it be the device has a switch to select either voltage?

What is the meaning of "not sp"?

Lnewqban said:
Could it be the device has a switch to select either voltage?

What is the meaning of "not sp"?
Sorry typo. That's what happens when you write messages in the middle of the night. I realized my bad spelling today. No switch unfortunately. Just one button which turns on boil mode then automatically flips to keep warm mode when water hits 100°C.

Likes Lnewqban
There should be a wattage or current specified.
Check the rating of the switch and the power plugs.

20230223_100824.jpg

Here is the base plate and below is a Google translate from Russian. Not sure I necessarily believe the baseplate as the vendor is telling me he checked with the manufacturer and they told him this is a 110V element. But then why does it take 45 min to heat the water? Also....the google translation have to take with a grain of salt as well. Not sure it is 100% accurate.

Household electric samovar ESTZ 3.0/1.0-110/220 GOST 7400,

Model "Bank" voltage 220V 50g Power 1kB

Deleted, misread.

1. What is reverse engineering and how does it apply to my boiler?

Reverse engineering is the process of taking apart an object or system to understand how it works and how it was built. In the case of a boiler, reverse engineering can help identify any potential issues or improvements that can be made to optimize its performance.

2. Why would I want to reverse engineer my boiler?

Reverse engineering your boiler can provide valuable insights into its design and functionality. This can help you troubleshoot any problems, make improvements, or even create a more efficient version of the boiler.

3. What steps are involved in reverse engineering a boiler?

The steps involved in reverse engineering a boiler may vary depending on the specific model and design. However, some common steps include disassembling the boiler, analyzing its components and materials, creating detailed drawings or models, and testing the boiler's performance.

4. Can I reverse engineer my boiler on my own?

While it is possible to reverse engineer a boiler on your own, it can be a complex and time-consuming process. It is recommended to seek the help of a professional engineer or technician who has experience in reverse engineering and working with boilers.

5. Are there any risks or drawbacks to reverse engineering my boiler?

Reverse engineering a boiler may come with some risks, such as damaging the boiler during disassembly or not being able to accurately reassemble it. It is important to carefully plan and document the process to minimize these risks. Additionally, reverse engineering may also void any warranties on the boiler, so it is important to consider this before proceeding.

Back