Is my tutor wasting my time?

In summary, the problem involves finding the force exerted by a hydraulic brake on a rotating cast iron flywheel in order to solve a more complex problem. However, the necessary information such as the moment of inertia or radius of the flywheel is not provided, making it impossible to solve the problem. It seems that the tutor may have made a mistake in not giving this information.
broouk

Homework Statement

This is the first part of a more complex problem but I shall give all the relevant data. A cast iron flywheel is rotating at 80rev/sec and is brought to rest in 20sec by a hydraulic braking system acting on the outer dia. of the flywheel. There is 4Nm of frictional torque in the flywheel system and co-efficient of friction of the brake interface is 0.4. I need to find the force that the brake is exerting on the flywheel. For info the brake is then connected to 2 hydraulic cylinders, of different areas, in series and then to a second order lever. However, if I can find the force at the brake I can crack the rest. I have not been given a moment of inertia or a radius for the flywheel and the more time I spend trying to solve this, the more I think that my tutor has made a mistake in not giving one of these.

Homework Equations

initial ang. velocity is 502.65 rads/sec before the braking

T=Fr and F=(co-eff. of friction)*N

Therefore T=co-eff.*N*r

The Attempt at a Solution

I started trying to use the above equations but the only T value I have is for frictional torque.
The only moment of inertia value I can get is also using this fric. torque which is incorrect, I think.
By converting rev/sec to rads/sec=502.65 I can also find the radians rotated by the flywheel. radians=1/2 (initial velocity+final velocity)*t
=5026.5 radians
Still can't seem to get anywhere with this. Do I need a moment of inertia or radius to get any further?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's indeed no way you can do it without the moment of inertia. I

I understand your frustration with not being given all the necessary information to solve a problem. It is always important to have all the relevant data in order to accurately solve a problem and come to a correct conclusion. However, I would not jump to the conclusion that your tutor is wasting your time. It is possible that they may have overlooked including the moment of inertia or radius, but it is also possible that they want you to think critically and find a way to solve the problem without those values. This type of problem-solving can be valuable in the real world, where not all information is always readily available.

I would suggest discussing your concerns with your tutor and seeing if they can provide any additional guidance or clarification. If they do not have the missing information, they may be able to point you in the right direction for finding it or suggest alternative methods for solving the problem. As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with an open mind and be willing to adapt your methods if necessary. Best of luck in finding a solution to this problem.

1. How can I tell if my tutor is wasting my time?

There are a few ways to determine if your tutor is wasting your time. First, consider if you are making progress and if the tutor's methods are effective. If you feel like you are not learning or improving, it may be a sign that your tutor is not using your time effectively. Additionally, if your tutor is consistently late, unprepared, or not engaged during sessions, it may be a red flag that they are not taking your time seriously.

2. What should I do if I feel like my tutor is wasting my time?

If you believe that your tutor is wasting your time, it is important to address your concerns with them directly. You can start by discussing your goals and expectations for tutoring sessions and ask for their feedback. If the issue persists, it may be necessary to find a new tutor who better meets your needs.

3. Is it common for tutors to waste their students' time?

No, it is not common for tutors to waste their students' time. Most tutors take their job seriously and want to see their students succeed. However, there may be some tutors who are not as dedicated or skilled, which is why it is important to communicate with your tutor and address any concerns you have.

4. How can I make the most of my tutoring sessions?

To make the most of your tutoring sessions, it is important to come prepared with specific questions and topics you would like to cover. Additionally, actively participate and engage with your tutor, ask for clarification when needed, and take notes to review later. It may also be helpful to set goals with your tutor and track your progress.

5. Should I continue with my tutor if I feel like they are wasting my time?

If you consistently feel like your tutor is wasting your time and your concerns have not been addressed, it may be best to find a new tutor. Your time is valuable, and it is important to work with a tutor who is dedicated to helping you succeed. However, if your tutor is willing to address your concerns and make changes, it may be worth giving them another chance.