Is MySQL or PostgreSQL more ACID compliant for database projects?

• Thread starter ankitdixit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Mysql
In summary, the speaker is working on a database project and is proficient in SQL commands. They are looking for information on which database, MySQL or PostgreSQL, supports ACID compliance. According to a post on Quora, MySQL is not fully ACID compliant and only supports it when used with InnoDB or NDB. The speaker is seeking guidance on how to use these features with InnoDB. They also inquire about the ACID compliance of PostgreSQL.
ankitdixit
TL;DR Summary
Which one supports ACID compliant between MySQL and PostgreSQL
Hello All, I am working on a database project and I am good at SQL commands. I want to know which one supports ACID compliant between MySQL and PostgreSQL. I have asked this question on Quora and according to this post, MySQL is not completely ACID compliant. It supports ACID only when used in InnoDB and NDB. Can anyone tell me how i can use them with InnoDB? Or PostgreSQL is supported or not?

Technology news on Phys.org

1. What does "ACID compliant" mean for databases?

ACID is an acronym that stands for Atomicity, Consistency, Isolation, and Durability. These are the four key properties that ensure the reliability and accuracy of data in a database. A database that is ACID compliant guarantees that all transactions are completed successfully or not at all, and that they maintain consistency and integrity of data.

2. Which database, MySQL or PostgreSQL, is more ACID compliant?

Both MySQL and PostgreSQL are ACID compliant databases, but PostgreSQL is considered to be more strict in its adherence to the ACID principles. This is because PostgreSQL uses a multiversion concurrency control system, while MySQL uses a locking-based system. However, both databases are highly reliable and suitable for most database projects.

3. Are there any specific scenarios where one database may be more suitable than the other in terms of ACID compliance?

While both databases are highly reliable, there are some specific scenarios where one may be more suitable than the other. For example, if you have a large database with heavy usage and complex transactions, PostgreSQL's multiversion concurrency control system may be more efficient. On the other hand, if you have a simpler database with fewer transactions, MySQL's locking-based system may be more suitable.

4. Can I make MySQL as ACID compliant as PostgreSQL?

MySQL does have some options and settings that can improve its ACID compliance, such as using the InnoDB storage engine and adjusting certain configuration variables. However, it is not possible to make MySQL as strictly ACID compliant as PostgreSQL due to their fundamental differences in data storage and management.

5. How does ACID compliance affect database performance?

ACID compliance does have a slight impact on database performance, as ensuring the reliability and accuracy of data requires additional processing and checks. However, this impact is minimal and typically not noticeable in most database projects. The benefits of having an ACID compliant database far outweigh any slight decrease in performance.