Is "OK" really no longer OK?

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
In summary: Summary:In summary, the author says that the term "fart rape" originated from the "rape culture" theory and that it is used to refer to a situation where someone is raped by farting. She says that she has never heard the term "okay" used in a polite way and that it is now a typical word. She puts a Millennial who accused her of cultural appropriation on permanent mute.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
From https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/21/business/kk.html

When I respond to a text or email with “O.K.,” I mean just that: O.K. As in: I hear you, I understand, I agree, I will do that. If I reply with “K,” I’m just being more informal.

However, I have been informed by my Millennial and Gen Z co-workers that the new thing I’m supposed to type is “kk.” To write “O.K.” or “K,” they tell me, is to be passive-aggressive or imply that I would like the recipient to drop dead.

Is this the backstory behind the recent viral "OK boomer" moment?

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, OK is OK with me.

Did I just tell myself to drop dead?

Personally, I prefer OK to O.K. or okay.

Just k is just Cray.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto and Evo
I'm not going to worry about this. I mean OK as a completely neutral acknowledgment. This to me is akin to the old joke about someone getting all upset at "good morning". "What do you mean by that?"

As far as I know, everybody I have occasion to text with also uses OK as a neutral response.

Likes QuantumQuest and symbolipoint
funny, just the other day I was wondering where the "kk" thing came from. never would have guessed "ok" is aggressive. I'd like to read the linked article but NYT wants me to pay for it. that's not OK

Likes epenguin
gmax137 said:
funny, just the other day I was wondering where the "kk" thing came from. never would have guessed "ok" is aggressive. I'd like to read the linked article but NYT wants me to pay for it. that's not OK
Fortunately, I (now) have 4 remaining free NYT articles left.
I believe the following is free to read by anyone, and is very similar in content.

It's one of the most secretly fraught words to use with co-workers.
By Monica Torres​
02/12/2019 03:39pm EST | Updated February 13, 2019​
More words in general sound more polite
Gretchen McCulloch, an internet linguist and author of the upcoming book "Because Internet", said "OK" is not inherently rude but the length of a reply matters.

It makes me glad I'm retired, and don't have to interact professionally with young people anymore. Actually, the old people could be annoying too.

Likes WWGD, gmax137, OCR and 1 other person
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes davenn and OmCheeto
WWGD said:

Including results for fart rape.
:olduhh::olduhh:
It would appear, I've missed a lot in the last 5 years...

Mar 27, 2019 Fart rape; it's a strange term that sometimes gets thrown around by feminists and ultra sensitive progressive types. But what does it mean? The term "Fart rape" originates from "rape culture" theory, stemming back to a documentary entitled "Rape Culture" released in 1975.​

I think I can die now, as I've definitely heard it all.

• Haha
Likes OCR and WWGD
OmCheeto said:

I think I can die now, as I've definitely heard it all.
And you live in _Portland_!

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:
It makes me glad I'm retired, and don't have to interact. . . *with anybody.
Copy that. . . 🤔. 😩

🆗. . . ? . 😣

Lol. . .

*My mod.

Likes OmCheeto
WWGD said:
And you live in _Portland_!
Now that you mention it...

Once, I mentioned on Facebook that I was going to wear a sombrero for my birthday, as Cinco de Mayo is the day before, and I thought it was chronologically appropriate.

I was of course accused by a Portlandiac Millennial of cultural appropriation, and told to read certain books, and take classes, and...

No. I put him on permanent mute.

Likes OCR and WWGD
I'm not sure exactly how the topic was meant since having not read the links ; but "ok" has become a typical word and could be spelled "okay" if the user wants. "Fine" might work well as a more standard substitute for "ok". "Yes" or "right" might also work. Not much point putting much effort into "ok" unless one is interested in the etymology, origins, and development of this word. Did it at one time long ago stand for "All Correct" and then through creative spelling become written as "Oll Korrect" and then abbreviated into "OK" ?

Likes OmCheeto
OmCheeto said:

Once, I mentioned on Facebook that I was going to wear a sombrero for my birthday, as Cinco de Mayo is the day before, and I thought it was chronologically appropriate.

I was of course accused by a Portlandiac Millennial of cultural appropriation, and told to read certain books, and take classes, and...

I heard something similar, Indians accusing Westerns of appropriation because they were wearing Saris and eating Indian food without understanding, acknowledging the background in which these took place. I asked them if they wore t-shirts and jeans and used the internet, as these were both developed in , products of, the West, and if so, if they understood the cultural background of each of these. They have quieted down on their accusations since.

Likes Mark44 and BillTre
WWGD said:
I heard something similar, Indians accusing Westerns of appropriation because they were wearing Saris and eating Indian food without understanding, acknowledging the background in which these took place. I asked them if they wore t-shirts and jeans and used the internet, as these were both developed in the West, and if so, if they understood the cultural background of these. They have quieted down on their accusations since.
Ehr mehr gerd.
You have not a clue...
You need to read books and take classes...
:oldwink:

OmCheeto said:
Ehr mehr gerd.
You have not a clue...
You need to read books and take classes...
:oldwink:
I'll just stay home and self-rape,er...fart to the wind.

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
Clearly a first world "problem" to which we old folks are overreacting. We have lots of younger posters and I have yet to bump into this.

jim mcnamara said:
Clearly a first world "problem" to which we old folks are overreacting. We have lots of younger posters and I have yet to bump into this.
Ok(??)

Likes Bystander
OmCheeto said:
Including results for fart rape.
Follow those links back to the source... it’s bogus.

Ok, egg on my face, I bought into this without first checking. A friend told me, not sure if he knew and was playing a joke on me ( which I am not aware of him doing before) or if he truly believed it. Will be more careful from now on.

However, I have been informed by my Millennial and Gen Z co-workers that the new thing I’m supposed to type is “kk.” To write “O.K.” or “K,” they tell me, is to be passive-aggressive or imply that I would like the recipient to drop dead.
I wonder how Gunnery Sergeant Hartman would react to that.

Likes diogenesNY and BillTre
OmCheeto said:

Hmm, it make me wonder if that Millennial belongs to a Gym that has a sauna which is a cultural appropriation of my ethnic heritage.:smile:

Likes jtbell
Janus said:
Hmm, it make me wonder if that Millennial belongs to a Gym that has a sauna which is a cultural appropriation of my ethnic heritage.:smile:
And Jeans and t-shirts, the Internet , etc. are being appropriated by those not in the West without this being a problem for those who complain about appropriation by the West. It is this ( and a lot of other) silliness that made the accusations of fartrape believable.

Once upon a time, goodness knows where, I read that OK arose in the American Civil War as a short way to express zero killed in a military action. Is that OK with everyone?

Likes symbolipoint
I get reminded of the 0K joke (zero Kelvin)

Likes collinsmark
I thought OK stood for Oklahoma. 🙄

osilmag said:
I thought OK stood for Oklahoma. 🙄
Rogers and Hammerstein might agree.

"You're doin' fine, Oklahoma!
Oklahoma O.K."

Ibix said:
There seem to be quite a few proposed etymologies.
Ah, but they didn't include the proper pen at Tombstone. . . . 😞

You know a country's prosperous when its people can afford so much time and energy debating the righteousness of a relatively-marginal word. Not likely to see a similar debate in Syria or most of Africa.

Likes Mark44

1. What does the phrase "OK" really mean?

The phrase "OK" is believed to have originated in the United States in the 19th century. It is thought to be an abbreviation of the phrase "oll korrect", a humorous misspelling of "all correct". Over time, "OK" has become a widely used term to indicate agreement, approval, or understanding.

2. Why is there a debate about whether "OK" is still acceptable to use?

There is a debate about whether "OK" is still acceptable to use because some people argue that it is too informal and lacks clarity in communication. They believe that using more specific words or phrases can convey a clearer message. Others argue that "OK" is a versatile and widely understood term that can be used in various contexts.

3. Is there any evidence to support the claim that "OK" is no longer OK?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that "OK" is no longer OK. The debate about the use of "OK" is largely based on personal opinions and preferences. However, some studies have shown that using "OK" can have a positive impact on communication, such as establishing a friendly tone and promoting efficiency in conversations.

4. How has the use of "OK" evolved over time?

The use of "OK" has evolved over time from a humorous misspelling to a widely accepted term in everyday language. It has also been adapted into other languages and cultures, with variations such as "okay" and "oui-ka". In recent years, the rise of technology and social media has also led to the use of "OK" in written communication, such as text messages and emails.

5. What are some alternatives to using "OK"?

Some alternatives to using "OK" include using more specific words or phrases to convey agreement or approval, such as "I agree" or "That sounds good". Other options include using emojis or other non-verbal cues to express understanding or approval. Ultimately, the choice of language and communication style should depend on the context and the intended message.