Is outside diameter the same as circumference?

In summary, the conversation discussed the confusion over the definition of outside diameter in relation to gears. It was suggested to use Google to find the answer, and it was explained that the outside diameter of a gear refers to the diameter at the tips of the teeth. The difference between circumference and diameter was also explained. A helpful link was shared for further information on gear nomenclature.
bcrary3
Okay, this might be a stupid question, but I have a sheet with all the formulas to find all kinds of anything you'd need to find about a gear. However I am confused by when it says outside diameter. Is outside diameter the same as circumference?
How do I find outside diameter using either the radius or diameter of the circle?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
bcrary3 said:
Okay, this might be a stupid question, but I have a sheet with all the formulas to find all kinds of anything you'd need to find about a gear. However I am confused by when it says outside diameter. Is outside diameter the same as circumference?
How do I find outside diameter using either the radius or diameter of the circle?

Thanks!

There is this really marvelous facility on the Internet called Google Search. You should learn how to use it. I'll bet a Google entry of define "outside diameter" will tell you what you want to know.

phinds said:
There is this really marvelous facility on the Internet called Google Search. You should learn how to use it. I'll bet a Google entry of define "outside diameter" will tell you what you want to know.
just as easy to also post the answer to newb Q, and then foster use of Gool or the like.

OP, no, OD is just that, the OD of say diameter of a pipe (the circular cross section after cutting the pipe perpendicular to its radial axis). mostly everything is 3D, thus a tube has a ID due to wall thickness.

Circumferene = 2πr = πd

the OP is asking about gears, not pipe.

Gear specifications have several different diameters, since the gear teeth are along the radius. So there's a diameter at the base of the tooth, at the outside edge of the tooth, along the line of action (where the meshing teeth touch) etc. Look at a gear manufacturer's website for a drawing and the definitions for the type of gear you're interested in.

Or try this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_pitch_diameter#Standard_pitch_diameter

Last edited:
my bad, didnt see the gear piece.

are they like threading guides, a minor and major diameter, w/ different designation for external vs internal threads (teeth in the case)?

The outside diameter of a gear is just the diameter at the tips of the teeth. They specify "outside" in order to differentiate from things like the pitch diameter and the root diameter.

Thanks for the help everyone! :D

1. Is the outside diameter the same as the circumference?

No, the outside diameter and circumference are not the same. The outside diameter refers to the distance across a circle passing through the center, while the circumference is the distance around the circle.

2. How do you measure the outside diameter and circumference of a circle?

The outside diameter can be measured by finding the distance across the center of the circle using a ruler or measuring tape. The circumference can be measured by using a string or flexible measuring tape to wrap around the circle and then measuring the length of the string or tape.

3. Why is it important to know the difference between outside diameter and circumference?

Knowing the difference between outside diameter and circumference is important in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It allows for accurate measurements and calculations when designing and constructing structures or analyzing circular objects.

4. Can the outside diameter and circumference of a circle be the same?

No, the outside diameter and circumference of a circle cannot be the same. The outside diameter is always larger than the circumference. In fact, the circumference is approximately 3.14 times the outside diameter, or more precisely, pi times the outside diameter.

5. Is there a formula for calculating the outside diameter and circumference of a circle?

Yes, the formula for calculating the outside diameter (d) and circumference (c) of a circle is d = c/pi or c = pi*d. This means that the circumference is equal to pi times the outside diameter, and vice versa. This formula is commonly used in mathematics and engineering.