Is physical reality more than the sum of its parts?

In summary, the author makes an information theoretical argument that all causal agency arises directly from the micro realm. The article in question is from a respectable journal, has received some attention, and has a high Altmetric Attention Score, but does not seem to have traction yet among the professional scientific community.
Twodogs
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
In a recent paper, a 29-year-old theoretical neuroscientist makes an information theoretical argument that this is the case. Does his argument have traction?
There is a paper here: https://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/19/5/188

And a lengthy article here: https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-theory-of-reality-as-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts-20170601/

The general argument concerns causal emergence and whether all causal agency arises directly from the micro realm or whether it can accurately be treated as a property of macro structures.

The author is quoted: “If you just say something like, ‘Oh, my atoms made me do it’ — well, that might not be true. And it might be provably not true.”

Thanks...

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Twodogs said:
Summary:: In a recent paper, a 29-year-old theoretical neuroscientist makes an information theoretical argument that this is the case. Does his argument have traction?

There is a paper here: https://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/19/5/188

And a lengthy article here: https://www.quantamagazine.org/a-theory-of-reality-as-more-than-the-sum-of-its-parts-20170601/

The general argument concerns causal emergence and whether all causal agency arises directly from the micro realm or whether it can accurately be treated as a property of macro structures.

The author is quoted: “If you just say something like, ‘Oh, my atoms made me do it’ — well, that might not be true. And it might be provably not true.”

Thanks...
Well, his argument doesn’t have a lot of traction yet.

A journal like Entropy is primarily a journal for papers that got rejected from more prestigious journals. It has an impact factor of 2.3 and the publisher was briefly on Jeff Beall’s list of predatory publishers. It was removed later after Jeff took a closer look, but the fact that he had to look so closely means that it was fairly similar to a predatory publisher.

It may very well gain traction later, but right now I would say “no”.

The second reference is a pop-sci science news site. It doesn’t seem bad as far as such sites go, but they are not an indication of traction amongst the professional scientific community where traction is measured by the prestige and frequency of the journals discussing a topic.

Likes bhobba and vanhees71
Dale said:
Well, his argument doesn’t have a lot of traction yet.
[Moderator fixed mangled quote]

I appreciate your putting in larger context without a complete dismissal.

This is apparently the author's first published paper and I made an effort to check it out and found the following at:
https://mdpi.altmetric.com/details/19598166#score

"This research output has an Altmetric Attention Score of 122. This is our high-level measure of the quality and quantity of online attention that it has received. This Attention Score, as well as the ranking and number of research outputs shown below, was calculated when the research output was last mentioned on 05 May 2020."It was in the top 5% of all research outputs scored by Altmetric and I take this to mean there is some interest, though as you suggest, that may be largely on the fringe.

As to substance, the purport of his argument makes sense to me, but I am not sure of his method or even whether you can legitimately address physical theory via information theory.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a score by the publisher of the article, MDPI, the one I mentioned above that is close to predatory. I am not sure that score is a reliable indicator of anything.

I think that time will tell here. Either the idea will be taken up and refined or it will be examined and discarded.

Last edited:
Likes bhobba
Thank you for the perspective.

This seems to be more a philosophical argument instead of a scientific one. As an example, a microscopic description of every atom in a gas doesn't have - or need - the concept of a temperature. Is adding that concept "more than the sum of its parts"? I would say no, but as far as I understand this author says yes. You can derive the temperature from the microscopic description. If you couldn't do that then there would be some (revolutionary) new physics, a claim that would need to be backed by experiments, not information theory. If you take a strict microscopic description you can miss useful concepts like the temperature, but you can still predict the time evolution of the system perfectly.

Likes bhobba and PeroK
Just a note about acceptable papers on this this forum. They must be peer reviewed, from a respected textbook, a lecture from a respected university such as MIT, and in some cases arxiv. However, and I know this only too well, that does not always guarantee it's not without significant error - experts here have often picked up errors in such papers. I just posted one with an obvious error on another topic - an error so bad I would have rejected the paper if it was referred to me - but it was from a peer reviewed journal so met our standards. It was to make a point that I posted it - but made clear it left out important facts that should have been included.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is meant by "physical reality" in this question?

In this question, "physical reality" refers to the tangible, observable world around us that is governed by natural laws and principles.

2. Can you provide an example of how physical reality may be more than the sum of its parts?

One example of this concept is the human brain. While the brain is made up of individual neurons and cells, it is also capable of producing complex thoughts, emotions, and consciousness that cannot be fully explained by the individual parts alone.

3. How does this question relate to the field of science?

This question falls under the realm of philosophy and metaphysics, which are disciplines that explore the nature of reality and existence. However, it also has implications for scientific fields such as physics and biology, which study the fundamental building blocks and systems of the physical world.

4. Is there evidence to support the idea that physical reality is more than the sum of its parts?

While there is ongoing debate and speculation about this concept, there is currently no definitive scientific evidence to prove or disprove it. Some theories and experiments, such as quantum mechanics, suggest that there may be underlying complexities and connections in the physical world that go beyond what we can observe.

5. How does this question tie into the concept of emergence?

The idea that physical reality may be more than the sum of its parts is closely related to the concept of emergence, which suggests that complex systems can exhibit properties and behaviors that cannot be predicted from the individual components. This concept is often used to explain phenomena such as consciousness, intelligence, and self-organization in nature.