Is Planck's Law of Black-Body Accurate?

In summary: Electrons can be excited or relaxed by light, but the light doesn't have to be electromagnetic in order for it to cause the electron to change its state.
happyparticle
TL;DR Summary
If the amount of power ##\beta## is greater than energy to remove electron, does it means that the link between the atom and the electrons is broken?
First of all, Is ##\beta## given by the Planck's law of black-body is the amount of power contained in radiation emitted by a black body?
I'm not sure to fully understand the law above.
Does it means that if amount of power over all the frequencies is greater than the energy needed to remove an electron of a solid then the atom will lose an electron? Since I must convert power to energy I'm not so sure about the statement above.

Physics news on Phys.org
happyparticle said:
Does it means that if amount of power over all the frequencies is greater than the energy needed to remove an electron of a solid then the atom will lose an electron?
No. Planck's law is about how much radiation is emitted from a blackbody at a given temperature, along with how the power is split among different frequencies. By itself is says nothing about whether electrons are split from atoms. That requires that a photon of sufficient energy be absorbed by the atom.

happyparticle said:
Since I must convert power to energy I'm not so sure about the statement above.
What are you trying to do?

Likes bhobba and topsquark
happyparticle said:
Does it means that if amount of power over all the frequencies is greater than the energy needed to remove an electron of a solid then the atom will lose an electron?
No. All it takes is a single photon of the right energy (wavelength/frequency). The total power emitted is irrelevant. The power at each wavelength/frequency is only relevant for calculating the probability that it will happen.

Likes topsquark
Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your answers. I now think that I don't really understand what exactly is the radiation emitted from a black body. I thought it was the photons.

happyparticle said:
I now think that I don't really understand what exactly is the radiation emitted from a black body. I thought it was the photons.
The issue is not that black body radiation is made of something besides photons. The issue is that you are incorrectly assuming that the only process in an object that can possibly involve photons is electrons being removed from atoms.

In fact there are lots of ways for objects made of lots of atoms to emit (and absorb) photons that leave atoms perfectly intact.

Likes Vanadium 50
happyparticle said:
Sorry for the delay. Thank you for your answers. I now think that I don't really understand what exactly is the radiation emitted from a black body. I thought it was the photons.
It is photons. The photons are predominantly emitted by the 'jiggling' of the charges making up the material, not from electrons being removed from or added to atoms.

Is it possible that I messed up photon and photoelectrons. It seems like I described this phenomenon where electrons are emitted when hit by electromagnetic radiation. In this case can the electromagnetic radiation be emitted by a black body?

happyparticle said:
Is it possible that I messed up photon and photoelectrons. It seems like I described this phenomenon where electrons are emitted when hit by electromagnetic radiation. In this case can the electromagnetic radiation be emitted by a black body?
A black body is a theoretical construct that models ideal thermal radiation. What you're talking about is electron excitation/relaxation, which is the basis for substances' emission/absorption spectrum.

1. What is Planck's Law of Black-Body?

Planck's Law of Black-Body is a fundamental law in physics that describes the spectral energy density of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a black body at a given temperature. It was formulated by German physicist Max Planck in 1900 and is considered one of the cornerstones of quantum mechanics.

2. Is Planck's Law of Black-Body accurate?

Yes, Planck's Law of Black-Body has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately describe the spectrum of radiation emitted by black bodies at different temperatures. It has been confirmed through numerous experiments and is widely accepted by the scientific community.

3. How does Planck's Law of Black-Body relate to the concept of black bodies?

Planck's Law of Black-Body is specifically designed to describe the radiation emitted by black bodies, which are theoretical objects that absorb all radiation that falls on them and emit radiation according to their temperature. This law helps us understand the behavior of black bodies and their unique properties.

4. Can Planck's Law of Black-Body be applied to all objects?

No, Planck's Law of Black-Body is only applicable to idealized objects known as black bodies. These objects do not exist in the real world, but they serve as important theoretical models for understanding the behavior of real objects that emit and absorb radiation.

5. Are there any limitations to Planck's Law of Black-Body?

Planck's Law of Black-Body is a highly accurate and useful law, but it does have some limitations. It assumes that the black body is in thermal equilibrium, meaning that it is at a constant temperature and is in a vacuum. It also only applies to objects that emit and absorb radiation, so it cannot be used to describe the behavior of objects that do not interact with electromagnetic radiation.