Is Precalculus Necessary for Success in Calculus 1?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathdad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precalculus
In summary, a student who has taken algebra 1, algebra 2, geometry and trigonometry should be able to succeed in calculus without taking precalculus.
mathdad
Algebra 2, intermediate algebra and college algebra cover most of the topics taught in precalculus. Taking geometry and then trigonometry prepares anyone for calculus 1. So, is precalculus really needed as a prerequisite for calculus 1?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In the US curriculum, pre-calculus is a little bit vague in its goals but from my experience there are some key ideas that are covered that are beyond normal algebra classes and do help one prepare for calculus. An example of this would be limits and more in depth coverage of functions. Some of it overlaps algebra, but it's a good refresher and not wasted in my opinion. If you are finding yourself bored with precalc then I suggest trying to get a head start on calculus for next year. There will be a ton of new concepts and familiarizing yourself with them now will pay off. :) Just my two cents.

1. I am 52 years old.

2. I am not a classroom student. My student days ended in 1993.

3. I got an A minus in precalculus at Lehman College in 1993 as an elective course.

4. There are a few topics in precalculus not found in college algebra textbooks. However, I feel that taking algebra 1, algebra 2, geometry and trigonometry is enough to succeed in calculus 1. All calculus 1 courses begin with limits anyway or so I was told.

5. Going through the CONTENT of my David Cohen precalculus textbook, I see lots of interesting topics never taught in an actual precalculus course. For example, when I took precalculus in 1993, the professor never taught polar equations, polar graphs, polar coordinates, math induction, matrices, Cramer's Rule, etc.

RTCNTC said:
1. I am 52 years old.

Hello, youngster. I'm 53. (Giggle)

RTCNTC said:
2. I am not a classroom student. My student days ended in 1993.

I took Pre-Calc in the fall of 1991. At that time the school was transitioning from teaching an analytic trig. course in between Calc I and II to teaching trig. as part of Pre-Calc prior to Calc I. I was fortunate enough to take both, as my College Algebra professor got a waiver for me to take the analytic trig. course during the summer, in between College Algebra and Pre-Calc. I felt a little intimidated being the only one in that class who had not taken Calc I, but I did fine.

RTCNTC said:
4. There are a few topics in precalculus not found in college algebra textbooks. However, I feel that taking algebra 1, algebra 2, geometry and trigonometry is enough to succeed in calculus 1. All calculus 1 courses begin with limits anyway or so I was told.

Yes, a student taking those course should be able to succeed in calculus, but the extra prep provided by a Pre-Calc course doesn't hurt.

RTCNTC said:
5. Going through the CONTENT of my David Cohen precalculus textbook, I see lots of interesting topics never taught in an actual precalculus course. For example, when I took precalculus in 1993, the professor never taught polar equations, polar graphs, polar coordinates, math induction, matrices, Cramer's Rule, etc.

We were taught all of those when I took Pre-Calc. :D I really got into mathematical induction too...it's a very powerful method.

MarkFL said:
Hello, youngster. I'm 53. (Giggle)
I took Pre-Calc in the fall of 1991. At that time the school was transitioning from teaching an analytic trig. course in between Calc I and II to teaching trig. as part of Pre-Calc prior to Calc I. I was fortunate enough to take both, as my College Algebra professor got a waiver for me to take the analytic trig. course during the summer, in between College Algebra and Pre-Calc. I felt a little intimidated being the only one in that class who had not taken Calc I, but I did fine.
Yes, a student taking those course should be able to succeed in calculus, but the extra prep provided by a Pre-Calc course doesn't hurt.
We were taught all of those when I took Pre-Calc. :D I really got into mathematical induction too...it's a very powerful method.

I will need your guidance in terms of math induction when I get there in my precalculus review trek.

1. Why do I need to take Precalculus?

Precalculus is a fundamental course for students pursuing careers in math, science, engineering, or any field that requires quantitative reasoning. It lays the foundation for more advanced math courses and provides important problem-solving skills that are relevant in various industries.

2. Is Precalculus really necessary for my major?

While the necessity of Precalculus may vary depending on your major, it is highly recommended for students pursuing degrees in fields such as engineering, physics, mathematics, and economics. Even if it is not a required course, taking Precalculus can greatly benefit your understanding of more advanced math concepts.

3. Can I skip Precalculus and go straight to Calculus?

It is not recommended to skip Precalculus and go straight to Calculus. Precalculus builds upon the foundational concepts of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry, which are essential for understanding Calculus. Skipping Precalculus can make it more difficult to understand the material in Calculus and may result in lower grades.

4. What are the real-world applications of Precalculus?

Precalculus has many real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. It is used to model real-life situations, make predictions, and solve problems using mathematical concepts. Some examples of real-world applications of Precalculus include calculating trajectories of projectiles, determining optimal production levels in economics, and analyzing financial data.

5. Can I learn Precalculus on my own?

While it is possible to learn Precalculus on your own, it is highly recommended to take a course with a qualified instructor. Precalculus can be a challenging subject, and having a teacher to guide you and answer your questions can greatly improve your understanding of the material. Additionally, taking a course with other students allows for collaboration and discussion, which can enhance the learning experience.