Is Precession Timeless in Cosmology or Earth Science?

• Thread starter icarolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Precession
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of precession and its possible relationship to time. It is noted that precession appears without the Earth being an uncompensated gyroscope, and it is suggested that the ancients may have known about precession and pole shifts. However, it is ultimately concluded that time and precession are not equivalent forces and cannot be considered as such. The topic is also deemed not suitable for discussion in the philosophy or Earth science forums.
icarolo
I read it somewhere and it would make sense if you considered time as spin.
What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you explain your idea in more detail?

Earth´s precession is odd:
Precession appears without being the Earth an uncompensated gyroscope since the center of mass and the center of rotation are in the same straight line.
It goes against Earth rotation like if it was a delay in time.
Is a spinning force that appears not to have an obvious reaction.
Its been suggested the ancients knew about precession and even that pole shifts may occur every given certain time.
I know this last point is crazy but is so odd they noticed a 24.000 years rotation so long ago

I mean could time and precession be equivalent forces if time is to be considered a force of spin?
It would be interesting because precession can go both ways.

There's no physics in this "discussion". This is in the wrong forum. Moving to philosophy...

There is no philosophy in this thread either. The question can probably best be considered one of either Earth science or cosmology. The answer is no. Neither time nor precession are forces. Time is time, and precession is a sequence of events that occur in time. If you wanted, you could use them to measure time, though I'm sure how regular they are relative to the events that we currently use to measure time.

loseyourname said:
There is no philosophy in this thread either. The question can probably best be considered one of either Earth science or cosmology.

Agreed, this is not a philosophy topic. But I'm not sure if moving it to Earth science is worth it, because it doesn't seem to have much scientific merit either. I think loseyourname addressed the point adequately, and there's not much more left to say.

Last edited:

Related to Is Precession Timeless in Cosmology or Earth Science?

1. What is precession?

Precession refers to the slow and continuous change in the orientation of an object's rotational axis. In the context of Earth, it is the gradual movement of its axis around a fixed point in space.

2. How does precession affect Earth?

Precession has a number of effects on Earth, including changes in the length of seasons, the location of the celestial poles, and the position of the stars in the night sky. It also affects the Earth's climate and may contribute to changes in the Earth's orbit.

3. Is precession a timeless phenomenon?

In a sense, yes. Precession is a natural and ongoing process that has been occurring for millions of years and will continue to occur in the future. However, the rate of precession may vary over time due to factors such as changes in the Earth's mass distribution.

4. How is precession measured?

Precession is typically measured using astronomical observations and calculations. Astronomers use tools such as telescopes and computer simulations to track the movement of celestial bodies and determine the rate and direction of precession.

5. Does precession have any practical applications?

Yes, precession has several important practical applications. For example, it is crucial for accurate navigation and timekeeping, as it affects the position of the stars and thus the determination of time and location. Precession also plays a role in the study of climate change and the Earth's long-term orbital patterns.