Is 'Proof' a Must-See Movie for Math Enthusiasts?

In summary, the conversation is about a movie with the word "math" in its title and how it is unlikely to have any real math in it. The participants also discuss the potential of a movie solely focused on math and the unlikelihood of it being successful.
Icebreaker
http://imdb.com/title/tt0377107/

Anybody seen that? It's one of the few movies out there with the word "math" in it

Physics news on Phys.org
Icebreaker said:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0377107/

Anybody seen that? It's one of the few movies out there with the word "math" in it

It's not out yet is it?

It is. Of course, I doubt there is any real math in it. Note that I said the word math is in the movie, not math.

Icebreaker said:
It is. Of course, I doubt there is any real math in it. Note that I said the word math is in the movie, not math.

I know what you meant...geez, I know I'm dense sometimes but give a guy some credit...

Of course it just has the word math in it. Who in the hell would watch a movie that was strictly about math?

Ok, so after reviewing this definition we can now prove that x * e = x for all x in the set H. Woooo that would be a blast! :smile:

I'd love to see a movie that's entirely math.

Of course, bankrupcy isn't something that filmmakers look forward to, so I doubt I'll be seeing that hypothetical movie any time soon.

Related to Is 'Proof' a Must-See Movie for Math Enthusiasts?

1. What is the plot of "Proof the movie"?

The plot of "Proof the movie" involves a young woman named Catherine, who struggles with her identity and the legacy of her recently deceased mathematician father, Robert. Catherine's mental health is also called into question as she grapples with the possibility of inheriting her father's genius.

2. Is "Proof the movie" based on a true story?

No, "Proof the movie" is not based on a true story. It is a film adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name by David Auburn.

3. Who stars in "Proof the movie"?

"Proof the movie" stars Gwyneth Paltrow as Catherine, Anthony Hopkins as Robert, Jake Gyllenhaal as Hal, and Hope Davis as Claire.

4. What is the significance of the title "Proof"?

The title "Proof" has multiple meanings in the film. It refers to the mathematical concept of proof and Catherine's struggle to prove her father's groundbreaking work as her own. It also symbolizes Catherine's need to prove her own mental stability and the truth of her relationship with her father.

5. Is "Proof the movie" scientifically accurate?

While "Proof the movie" does touch on some mathematical concepts, it is not meant to be a scientifically accurate portrayal. The focus of the film is on the characters and their relationships, rather than the technicalities of mathematics. However, the overall themes of genius, inheritance, and mental illness are explored in a thought-provoking way.