Is Propagation delay from 1 to 0 the same as that from 0 to 1?

In summary, the propagation delays from High to Low and from Low to High are not always equal and can depend on the characteristics of the rest of the circuit, such as the type of logic family being used. In most cases, the output transition times will also be asymmetric due to differences in the structures of the logic gates. However, the propagation time through a gate can vary more depending on the internal logic topology and the input signals.
christang_1023
Homework Statement: There are the propagation delays from High to Low and from Low to High, and I wonder if they are equal?
Homework Equations: That is
$$ t_{PLH}=t_{PHL}$$

I suppose they should be equal.

Engineering news on Phys.org
christang_1023 said:
I don't, with a caveat. I think it may depend on the characteristics of the rest of the circuit.

Here's my thinking. Take the very simple case of a PNP transistor with a pull-up resistor on the collector. When you put a high voltage into the base resistor, this creates an active path from the collector to ground through the emitter, and thus the change is, absent anything weird in the remainder of the circuit, going to be function of the characteristics of the transistor, not the remainder of the circuit. However, when you release the voltage on the base resistor, you have shut off the active path to ground and created a passive path back to the supply voltage and thus the response will depend more strongly on the remainder of the circuit because of possible difference between the actions of an active path and a passive path.

• Informative
Likes christang_1023 and sophiecentaur
phinds said:
I don't, with a caveat. I think it may depend on the characteristics of the rest of the circuit.

Here's my thinking. Take the very simple case of a PNP transistor with a pull-up resistor on the collector. When you put a high voltage into the base resistor, this creates an active path from the collector to ground through the emitter, and thus the change is, absent anything weird in the remainder of the circuit, going to be function of the characteristics of the transistor, not the remainder of the circuit. However, when you release the voltage on the base resistor, you have shut off the active path to ground and created a passive path back to the supply voltage and thus the response will depend more strongly on the remainder of the circuit because of possible difference between the actions of an active path and a passive path.

What you seem to be suggesting is that the pulse shape is not symmetrical with an asymmetrical logic gate. I agree and this means that the two (on/off) time constants can be different. When a long signal path needs to be catered for, a proper symmetrical 'driver' circuit can improve matters. (Also a good termination at the receive end can help.)

• Informative
Likes christang_1023
christang_1023 said:
Homework Statement: There are the propagation delays from High to Low and from Low to High, and I wonder if they are equal?
Homework Equations: That is
$$ t_{PLH}=t_{PHL}$$

It depends on the logic family. There are assymmetries between the pullup and pulldown transistors at gate outputs and also in the propagation paths inside the gates, so in general the two propagation delays will not be equal.

You can check this by just looking at the datasheets for some typical logic gates. For CMOS gates, the P-channel FETs will be slower and weaker than the N-channel FETs if they are the same size, but the gate manufacturer may try to do some things to make them more equal (different sizes, etc.).

Have a look at a 74S00 datasheet and schematic. You can see that the pulldown transistor at the output stage will probably generate sharper pulldown edges versus the pullup transistor section, yet tPLH is a bit faster overall in the datasheet. The logic levels are also different for TTL versus CMOS gates, so that also enters into the slight differences between the tPLH and tPHL times.

http://materias.fi.uba.ar/6619/DM74S00.pdf
1573663053010.png

https://www.nutsvolts.com/magazine/article/understanding_digital_logic_ics_part_2
1573663081702.png

Likes christang_1023
Recognize that a question like this is nearly meaningless without a description of the system you are interested in. They could be equal, or not. I have no idea.

Likes phinds
phinds said:

It absolutely does.

For example, why assume the bit is encoded single ended. It could be differential and if it’s differential it’s a lot easier to make it symmetric.

Propagation Delay, or Transition Time?

There are differences in the high-to-low and low-to-high transition times of outputs. Most logic technologies have asymmetric structures, so are expected to have different rise and fall times. Asymmetric examples are RTL, I²L, DTL, TTL, and hybrids with asymmetric thresholds like the 74HCT series. Some appear to be symmetrical, but are really not, such as CMOS which uses N and P channel MOSFETs with different characteristics. Examples are CD4000 and 74HC series.
Only truly differential systems such as some series of ECL are balanced with respect to transition time.

The propagation time through a gate is usually more variable than the output transition time as it is determined by the internal logic topology of the gate. More complex logic blocks will have greater variations in propagation delay. Propagation delay will depend primarily on which input causes the output to change, and how many stages there are between input and output.

But it really does not matter that the transition times or propagation delays are different. Clocked systems latch data or advance state on either the positive or negative edge, rarely both. The designer must allow for worst case timing for the data being clocked through the system.

• Love
Likes christang_1023 and berkeman

1. What is propagation delay?

Propagation delay is the time it takes for a signal to travel from one point to another in a circuit or system. It is a measure of the delay or latency in the transmission of a signal.

2. Is the propagation delay the same for both transitions?

No, the propagation delay can vary depending on the direction of the signal transition. It is possible for the propagation delay from 1 to 0 to be different from the delay from 0 to 1.

3. Why is there a difference in propagation delay?

The difference in propagation delay can be due to various factors such as the type of circuit, the distance the signal needs to travel, and the type of components used in the circuit. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and noise.

4. How is propagation delay measured?

Propagation delay is typically measured in terms of time, such as nanoseconds or picoseconds. It can be measured using specialized equipment such as an oscilloscope or through simulation software.

5. Why is it important to consider propagation delay?

Propagation delay is important to consider in digital circuits as it can affect the timing and performance of the system. If the delay is too long, it can lead to errors and malfunctions in the circuit. It is crucial to minimize propagation delay to ensure the proper functioning of the circuit.